- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-24-2018, 09:12 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmba View Post
Ive have my RV 8 for 2 years...3 points were always challenging...then my buddy told me about Strakes..i installed them....WORLD OF DIFFERENCE!!!! MUCH MUCH easier to land!! HIGHLY RECOMMEND them!!
Strikes were all the rage for the RV-8 before folks figured out that good intersection fairings did the same thing and with lower drag - that was more than about a dozen years ago. So if you like them and are happy, thatís fine....but for folks building today, make (or install) intersection fairings and you can forgo the little things....
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 09-24-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironflight View Post
Strikes were all the rage for the RV-8 before folks figured out that good intersection fairings did the same thing and with lower drag - that was more than about a dozen years ago. So if you like them and are happy, thatís fine....but for folks building today, make (or install) intersection fairings and you can forgo the little things....
I looked on the Van's website and couldn't find anything about intersection fairings. Do you have a source for them?

Thanks,
John
Old 09-24-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Owen View Post
I looked on the Van's website and couldn't find anything about intersection fairings. Do you have a source for them?

Thanks,
John
I did a search with Google and found fairings, etc. I will need to look to see how they are different than the ones on my -8.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:17 PM

I used the RV Bits fairings and have no bad behavior at all. This is interesting to me because when I went down to Houston for transition training with Bruce Bohannon, he had strakes on his RV-8 and swore that they mitigated some sort of airflow disruption when he was close to stall causing a slight momentary "swerve" (best word I can come up with at the moment). I never noticed it probably because my own bad technique was worse than the "swerve". Randy Lervold also wrote about this on his site and Mike Robbins put some on his plane as I recall.

All I know is that my plane is extremely docile on the stall with no weird behavior at all. I can sit there power off with the stick in my gut and it just bobs up and down as I lose 1000 fpm.
RV-8 #81077 Super Slow Build
Titan IOX-370, Dual P-Mags, AFP FM200A FI, Sensenich GA Prop
First Flight 11/20/2016
www.marksrv8.com