What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us a pic of your FINISHED RV-8/8A!!!

Rick - Yes - based out of Leamington CLM2. Have OK to show up at Windsor CYQG and Chatham CYCK during my 25 hr flight test period. We will likely meet before to long.

Blain - I'll post pictures of the flap rod ends under it's own thread.

Beautiful paint job

Congratulations!

My -7 should fly this summer, late summer maybe :) I am going to paint mine as well I think, hope i do half as good a job.

Acryglo ? who makes that? was it hard to apply? I was going to use Endura but it is heavy and a bit tough to apply .

I paid for my Dream Schemes paint shceme two months ago and haven't recieved it yet! I should have hired your son,, easy way to make a thousand bucks eh? I am going to use a similiar blue / white scheme in my opinion it shows up very well in the sky and pattern.

Again congrats!

Dave,

Acryglo is an acrylic urethane manufactured by Sherwin Williams for aircraft. They also have a polyurethane - Jetglo. Lots of info on these on VAF. The Acryglo is not quite as bullet proof as the Jetglo but I was told it is easier to work with, in case I ended up having to cut & buff. It went on really nice and I didn't do any of that. I'd call it semi-bulletproof. Got it from Hypercoat-Downing in Mississauga. John McComb there was excellent to work with - on advice and return of left over unopened material. He's painted a couple of RVs himself. Total paint job was about $1700 in material with another $1300 in the booth. Most material in the booth (lights, studs, pipe, fittings etc) is reusable. I did have loan of a breathing air system though that probably saved a bunch of brain cells.

I took over this build as a retirement project intending to sell it and keep my previously built RV6. Having flown it I decided to keep it. It is pretty awesome.
Permanent paint sometime down the road.
EAA_1445_Plane%20A_zpsp8o62khy.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My favorites

I posted these over in the "Most awesome pictures on the ground" thread but figured the -8 section needed them to. My photographer cousin TimMcCullough said "Hey, bring your plane and Vett. I'll bring the models. We'll have some fun"
2rxecjt.jpg

8wgqcz.jpg

Last edited:
I posted these over in the "Most awesome pictures on the ground" thread but figured the -8 section needed them to. My photographer cousin TimMcCullough said "Hey, bring your plane and Vett. I'll bring the models. We'll have some fun"

Which one's the model?

Got the signoff today, N609HZ is legally an airplane.

img_3110.jpg

Day VFR, no lights, no gyros, Catto prop. Full inverted systems using Rotec FBI and Christen inverted oil. 1002 lbs empty. Need to get current, have transition training scheduled.

First OSH (where I flew my own plane) under my belt.
Approaching 1st "birth"day...almost 150 hours. Having a FUN time!

AF1QipPrxGJSKa2tjIaagE_ozu5IMmTkKCcK8-3zdCL9

So Wingnut - I'm guessing you're the guy responsible for putting together some pretty cool videos. Like 2014 Hornet Ball, for example? The Bullet Train segment - one of my favorites!
Nice work, both in front of and behind the camera.
And an RV-8 too!

Keep 'em coming!

Doug
Seattle area (closer to KNUW, actually)

Looking good!

Looking just as good as the first time I saw it at Kosh is 2013! Hope all is well.

Cest moi!

Doug,

That would be me! I'm glad you liked the videos and thank you. I've been a little overdue for more but we've been quite busy deployed and on detachment. I've got another Hornet Ball in the works as well as a mini documentary from our OIR deployment. Hopefully they are out before too long!

I'll be sure to give you a buzz in the Rhino next time I'm up that way!

Cheers!

Wingnut

So Wingnut - I'm guessing you're the guy responsible for putting together some pretty cool videos. Like 2014 Hornet Ball, for example? The Bullet Train segment - one of my favorites!
Nice work, both in front of and behind the camera.
And an RV-8 too!

Keep 'em coming!

Doug
Seattle area (closer to KNUW, actually)

Are you kidding? You took off the rudder mass balance weight? It's there for flutter prevention!

I would strongly suggest you reduce your Vne while you build another rudder (per plans) and get it installed.

Carl...I think he was joking...the counterweight looks to be there in the picture.

Last edited:
jesting indeed

Yes, totally joking. Fear not, the rudder weight is there and diligently preventing flutter through all phases of flight, it's just hard to see in that pic! Of note, now that we mention it, I am curious as to actual aerodynamic workings of these protruding weighted extensions. Anyone want to indulge my nerdy side and educate me?

Are you kidding? You took off the rudder mass balance weight? It's there for flutter prevention!

I would strongly suggest you reduce your Vne while you build another rudder (per plans) and get it installed.

Yes, totally joking. Fear not, the rudder weight is there and diligently preventing flutter through all phases of flight, it's just hard to see in that pic! Of note, now that we mention it, I am curious as to actual aerodynamic workings of these protruding weighted extensions. Anyone want to indulge my nerdy side and educate me?

I will describe the aero-balance benefit after I regain my composure.

I thought you might be kidding, but when I saw you were a Naval Aviator ... I wasn't so sure!

(Just Kidding, just kidding! :D )

Carl,

Ha! I love it. Aviation wouldn't be what it is without its banter.

Awesome info! Thank you very much, that was exactly what I was looking for. Much appreciated. And written just at a level to which my smaller Navy brain could still absorb! ;)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NhqhrQ8qCqTGkG4T9

(For some reason the photo never came across, but the link appears to work!)

Announcing a first flight on August 30, 2018 at Caboolture, Queensland, Australia.

VH-RKX took just shy of 10 years and features a Sam James' Cowl, with a Showplanes Fastback. The instrumentation is dual 10" Skyviews, and a GTN 635. The engine is by Aerosport Power and the prop by Whirlwind Aviation.

The exterior is a combination of polish, wrap and paint on the fibreglass surfaces.

Like many builders before, and those who will follow, we are deeply indebted to the good folks at Van's, and the sound advice from members of this wonderful forum, and you Doug who host us so well.

Last edited:
Hey Richard,

Congratulations ! Another fine example of the breed.
You guys must be getting close to a full Squadron of RV8's at Caboulture ?
There is another at Harvey Bay that is also getting close.

I better get YRED to lift its game and replace some of these ageing and sad cert aircraft.

Cheers

Congratulations Richard looks very nice, well done it?s a credit to you.

Just looks like it would fly beautifully. Hopefully I?ll get to see it at a fly in one day.

Kind Rgs
Chad Boot.

Congratulations Richard!!!

This is great Richard! I am ve y happy for you and thanks for providing the encouragement to get mine going :D

Almost in the air!

After 8 years, 8 months, and 8 days, the building stage has come to an end. Calibrated my fuel tanks yesterday and so far, I am impresssed with how accurate the capacitive system is...I filled the tanks and then I started draining the tanks a gallon at a time and the fuel level on the D180 reflected the same.

I have had number of AME?s look at the aircraft so I?m not expecting any real issues with the inspection. Fellow VAFer Simon Hitcheon will give it a go over tomorrow to check for any issues.

Here?s a few pics.

33blhk7.jpg

s4pgt2.jpg

etuww6.jpg

http://i64.tinypic.com/2h4azcz.jpg[/[IMG]

[IMG]http://i68.tinypic.com/vdegpz.jpg

A huge congratulations Don! I have been just a little behind you the whole way with my construction. I am so proud to see you ready to fly! Cudo's on a very nice looking plane! Very few folks know the amount of determination it takes to see a project thru to completion! Hopefully I'm just a few weeks or so behind you!

Nice RV8 Don!

Plane looks fantastic! Looking forward to that first flight video... I'll have to stop by for a peek next time I'm down at CYOO.

RV-8 Done!

Don, congrats on completion-bird looks fantastic. I know you will enjoy flying her--these are amazing airplanes!:D:D:D

Top notch

I had the pleasure of looking over Don?s beautiful aircraft prior to the inspection. The workmanship is superb, I know it?ll fly as well as it looks.

Many congrats on finishing. See you up there!

Built...Sold...Bought. Still count?

First one I built in 2002, sold in 2009 (Was N8WV back then)...

4AvBEQi.png

Second one I bought last month! Condition inspection, panel upgrades, and paint coming!

yjZLWEB.png

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks folks,

Just waiting for the Special C of A.

Much thanks to Simon who came the night before the inspection and had a good look over for some corrective actions.

Cant wait for the big day!

Don - Great looking plane. Your going to love it. If you stop by CLM2 some day we could do some side by side.

Last edited:
Nice one Don👍
Once those wheel spats go on yr machine will look even better, conventional u/c makes the 8 the sexiest Vans ever designed👍😉 enjoy the ride, that Vans smile will age you within weeks though!😂

Paint!

Finally got some paint on the -8. Painted by GLO Aircraft Painting--Roanoke, TX (52F). Mark and the guys did an outstanding job!

2q89ca8.jpg
9zvjk.jpg

Back