What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ellison EFS 4-5

Klaus Roth

I'm New Here
Hello,
it seems I have a communication problem with Ellsion and I wonder whether there is somebody out there who has contact to them and maybe could help me?

Problem: I have an EFS 4-5 returned for refurbishmend several month ago. I know it is at their site since July 1st. Since that I wrote several mails and also spoke to the telephon answering machine. Not any response so far. For me that is very strange and so I also asked Van's for help, also here no answer since last week.

The carburator comes out of my RV 4 RG which is flying in Germany. I am afraid I will never see it again and that could be a real problem, because to change the release of that specific airplane to another carburator is a big task.

I would be very grateful for any help I can get?.
(Just a small introduction of myself: My Name is Klaus Roth, Living in Germany. Beside 2 gliders I have build 2 RV4. The first is standard with the exception of the ability to tow gliders and the second has a retractable gear.)

Many thanks in advance
Klaus

Hi Klaus,
I?m sorry to hear that you?re having trouble reaching Ellison. When I was considering the Ellison TB I was also having trouble communicating with them and that was one of the reasons that I decided to go a different direction. I wish I had better advice for you, but all I can suggest is to keep trying to email them and to actually try calling them. If I remember correctly, I think calling them was the only way I was able to finally get in touch with them. One lasts resort, you might try mailing them an actual letter (old school). My buddy has an Ellison TB on his -7. I?ll be seeing him next week and I?ll see if he has another way of contacting them, and if he does, I?ll let you know.

Thank you Mark, surely I will continue to get in contact with them, but it is really frustrating to get not any response.

I had similar experiences with sending my TBI in for overhaul.

Communication was so bad that I thought they had gone out of business and purchased a carburetor.

Then I got the invoice.

When I asked how much they would be willing to purchase my now un-needed TBI, they said "about the same as the cost of the overhaul".

Problem solved...

The contact info you might try if you haven?t already is
[email protected]
Steve Glover 909-927-4600
The business is Aero Performance Specialties
Hangar B120 #8
7000 Merrill av. ( Chino airport )
Chino Ca. 91710
USPS does not deliver to this address ups and fedx does
This guy bought Ellison a couple of years ago

Kaput...

Hello,
it seems I have a communication problem with Ellsion and I wonder whether there is somebody out there who has contact to them and maybe could help me?

Problem: I have an EFS 4-5 returned for refurbishmend several month ago. I know it is at their site since July 1st. Since that I wrote several mails and also spoke to the telephon answering machine. Not any response so far. For me that is very strange and so I also asked Van's for help, also here no answer since last week.

The carburator comes out of my RV 4 RG which is flying in Germany. I am afraid I will never see it again and that could be a real problem, because to change the release of that specific airplane to another carburator is a big task.

I would be very grateful for any help I can get….
(Just a small introduction of myself: My Name is Klaus Roth, Living in Germany. Beside 2 gliders I have build 2 RV4. The first is standard with the exception of the ability to tow gliders and the second has a retractable gear.)

Many thanks in advance
Klaus

Wie Gehts Klaus!
I had an Ellison TBI on both my RV6 (0-320A) and my Sonerai II (1835ccVW).
I sent both back to Ellison for overhaul with the exact same issue you are having. My only recourse was daily telephone call attempts until finally reaching someone that worked there. Both of my TBI's took several months to repair and get returned.
One technique I used was a computer FAX directly to their FAX number. You might try printing your email and then sending Ellison a FAX of your letter
to 1-909-906-1473. I will forward your request via emai myself and see what happens...

This will hopefully get a response via email or text.

Tcheus!
Smokey

PS: A properly tuned Ellison TBI is a marvelous piece of engineering with very efficient running (as you know). However if the diaphragm is cracked or pierced in any way it won't run correctly.

Last edited:
Hello everybody. Thanks for the hints. I will take every chance and continue to get in contact with Ellision. I will keep you updated if I am successful…..

At the least, it is good to get some answers after writing so many e-mails with no response.

Success!

Hello everybody. Thanks for the hints. I will take every chance and continue to get in contact with Ellision. I will keep you updated if I am successful?..

At the least, it is good to get some answers after writing so many e-mails with no response.

Klaus,
I received this from Ellison literally an hour after my query...

Hi Smokey,

I have responded to him on each email. For whatever reason emailing over to Germany does not work. I get a message failure every time. I did see see the guy at vans when I responded to him.

I work a regular job during the day and I?m only able to get to the shop on nights and weekends. I?ll look tonight and see where he is in the schedule but it should be very close.

Sincerely,

EFS

Ellison Fluid Systems, Inc.
23052H Alicia Pkwy #395
Mission Viejo, Ca. 92692

V/R
Smokey

Hi Smokey,
that is very strange for me... According to his statement, he got my mails. So actually the E-Mail address works and I also got an answer from Van's now. (They can not help me)
Anyway, I will send a new mail with different E-Mail addresses and hope to come in contact with him.
Many, many thanks for your help !!! It is good to know that there are people all over the world with the same interests and helping each other. I feel much better now.

49clipper

Wie Gehts Klaus!
I had an Ellison TBI on both my RV6 (0-320A) and my Sonerai II (1835ccVW).
fully get a response via email or text.

PS: A properly tuned Ellison TBI is a marvelous piece of engineering with very efficient running (as you know). However if the diaphragm is cracked or pierced in any way it won't run correctly.

SmokyRay,
On a different line, I just bought a Rotec TBI for my new project. Sounds like you liked your Ellison. Good to know, but what is to "tune" on a TBI. Sounds like there is nothing on it but an idle screw and the linkages. Just wondering.
Jim

Why TBI?

SmokyRay,
On a different line, I just bought a Rotec TBI for my new project. Sounds like you liked your Ellison. Good to know, but what is to "tune" on a TBI. Sounds like there is nothing on it but an idle screw and the linkages. Just wondering.
Jim
Jim,
As you well know, Throttle Body Injection goes way back to early engines and auto racing. The Wright Flyer engines actually have a rudimentary TBI on them.
Tuning the mixture is simply rotating the injector nozzle in the air slipstream as it flows through the venturi which varies the fuel mixture. Ellison uses a diaphragm in lieu of a float chamber to draw fuel into the venturi. A poor running TBI can usually be traced to one of these two items.

For your Rotec, the Sonex guys had a good thread on the topic, link below.
http://sonexbuilders.net/viewtopic.php?t=1513&start=10

V/R
Smokey

Last edited:
Same thing here. I actually flew down to Chino and there?s a padlock on the hanger
they?ve had my Ellison for seven weeks and will not answer phone calls email or any other communications
I just received my Rotec TBI from Australia and will start installing today

Rotec TBI

Has anybody installed at Rotec TBI recently?

I?m particularly interested in the primer linkage and fuel return line construction

I lost my Ellison to Ellison overhaul and am replacing with Rotec TBI on my RV 4 with an O 320

Hi, I did not hear anything from Ellison as well so far. Actually I can not understand that. It is a really bad and unacceptable business behavior. My EFS 4-5 is there since July first?..
In Germany it is not so easy to change components by type of a released airplane. So maybe i will look to get a used one from a private person and try to repair and overhaul it by myself.
If there is somebody out who has one, I would be happy to buy it.
In parallel I already asked some people in the US to check what can be done to go to court.

I'm not sure what's happening "on the ground" over at Ellison but I applaud this new guy for at least trying to resurrect the company and provide support. Seems to me Ellison was all but dead about four or five years ago. I have a brand new unit that is sitting on the shelf ready to be installed when my engine gets hung, I sure hope Ellison is still around at that point to provide some level of support. I have to think the new owner feels the same way. I don't know but I suspect, he has another / "real job" that pays the bills.

a year later...and I am also trying to get a hold of them.

if they are gone, what is a good replacement?

Which fuel injection, ideally one that is a little smaller than a carb, so that it fits into the same footprint as the Ellison...

Back