- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2014, 08:32 PM

Default Driving your airplane out of the hangar

I heard an airplane start up yesterday morning while I was working in my hangar and it sounded like it was very close and loud so I opened the service door to take a look to see which neighbor it was going for a flight and if I knew him. To my surprise I saw the aircraft emerging nose first from the hangar as he reved up the engine to get the plane moving, he had to really give it the gas to get it moving because of the zero degree air temperature because at that termperature the rubber on the tires are real stiff kind of like wooded blocks rather than wheels.
I can not believe it did not blow the tin off the hangar, wow, that had to be a lot of air pressure in the hangar when he reved it up to get out.
I wonder if he would have done that to his own building, "these are city owned units here"....
388 hours and counting
Old 02-23-2014, 11:40 PM

I watched a guy drive a light twin *into* a hangar one time. Just taxied up, turned to face the hanger and drover 'er right on in. Junk flying all out of the hangar, papers, dirt, debris, you name it.

The things people will do to save a few minutes...mystifying.

Last edited by rv6rick : 02-24-2014 at 06:59 AM. Reason: removed expletive
Old 02-24-2014, 12:22 AM

Default Classic:

(not my photo.)
(started: Feb 2002 --> Completed: May 2016)
Old 02-24-2014, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaplins View Post

(not my photo.)
I have to say, if you can do this, go for it!
Awaiting DAR Inspection
Old 02-24-2014, 01:22 AM

I do it all the time.. in and out. I keep my hanger clean so no trash to blow. I am at a private grass strip, hard to push plane by myself on grass. I would take my Decathlon and pull it into the hanger until the tailwheel was on the concrete, then shutdown and get out and swing tail around and push to back. No way I could cut decathlon off outside and push it in by myself.

Last edited by rv6rick : 02-24-2014 at 07:00 AM. Reason: removed expletive
Old 02-24-2014, 01:32 AM

Seems the willingness to do such a thing would require at least 3, perhaps more, things:

1. You don't own the hangar, and none of your stuff is in it.
2. You are not responsible for cleaning the hangar (and don't care about the person who is).
3. You don't ever want to be invited back.

I reckon if you do own it, and keep it free of everything but the plane…or are a STOL manufacturer and cleared it out for a super-cool PR demo, it might be different. (Jon, just saw your post above, and it sounds like that's the case…no dis intended)

We taxied 22 RVs into a hangar (in formation) at Nellis AFB in 2010 during Aviation Nation…now that was different! But we had USAF taxi directors…and it was a very big hangar (with doors on both sides)! We did not taxi out of it though!

Normal ops though, I won't even turn my tail at someone's hangar (or mine) with the engine running…even with the door closed. Just a courtesy thing!

Cheers,
Bob
(Chief Hangar Clean-up Engineer at my place)
President/Sport 47/49, Sport Class Air Racing
President, Formation Flying Inc (FFI)
Flight Lead, Lightning Formation Airshows

Last edited by rvmills : 02-24-2014 at 01:38 AM. Reason: added note to Jon
Old 02-24-2014, 03:47 AM

Default Yours, mine or shared?

Personally I think both taxiing in and out of a hanger is bad practice. Taxiing in slightly less so because at least all the rubbish is blown out rather than in, but its still fraught with danger.

One of our group decided to taxi in and hit something and caused damage. Normally I do all the repair work but I made him get it done professionally at his expense this time. What was even more annoying was that the professional repair was bad and I had to re do it!!

If its your hanger and there is no one else's property in there you can do what you want. If you want to risk damaging your stuff that is your business, but I would not fly with you if I saw you doing it.

If I saw someone doing this in a shared but not my hangar I would have words with the pilot concerned and leave a note for the owners of other aeroplanes in the hanger in case any damage was caused. I once challenged a commercial pilot in front of all his passengers because of similar behavior when he pivoted my Tailwind through 90 degrees almost smashing the elevator into something. The only reason it did not was because I saw it coming and caught the fin and retrained it.

If its my hangar....... well lets just say you would not have access to it any more!!

If your aeroplane is too heavy.... build some muscle, get some help, buy a tow bar, buy a motorised tow bar!! Remember people often follow misjudged behavior and while what you do may only affect your things, when they do it it might affect other peoples property.

Don't expect people to follow what you say and not your example, but you can expect them to follow your example especially if its a poor one.

Steve Arnold
England

In completion stage of Loehle P5151
Built and now Flying G.BVLR Vans RV4
Rebuilt G.BDBD Tailwind
Rebuilt G BVTN Kitfox
Built G CDCD RV9A with WAM120
Riveted wings on Glastar G.LEZZ Now (G. SKUA)

Last edited by rv6rick : 02-24-2014 at 07:02 AM. Reason: removed expletive
Old 02-24-2014, 04:36 AM

I think it is bad practice at a city owned facility where in most T hangers they are open at the top and all that dirt and debris gets blown the ought the other hangers and your trying to keep your plane clean.
What if your doing an engine work or have your canopy open and all that junk gets blown in to your hanger.

Your hanger by itself do as you wish. But I have never seen too many hangers free of stuff that could be picked up by the prop and nick it.

I'd ask the fellow to be a little considerate of other planes.

Along this line. I remember a fellow who thought about painting his aircraft in his T hanger. Cleaned his hanger out good washed the floor down and started painting... He had to pay to have 3 other aircraft cleaned of overspray in adjacent units.

Jack
APRS/ WB4JKY
Retired Corporate Pilot CFI-AI, MEL
CE500, LRJT, HS25, C650, SBJT, CL60
Hunt Aviation, LLC.
Pilot Service, IPC's Biennials.
Comm Glider

Last edited by rv6rick : 02-24-2014 at 07:02 AM. Reason: removed expletive
Old 02-24-2014, 04:50 AM

Would you believe it is a illegal...and that of strict liability to do so in Aus.

David Brown

DYNON Authorised Dealer and Installer

The two best investments you can make, by any financial test, an EMS and APS!
Old 02-24-2014, 07:47 AM

Default I don't fire up and taxi out of my hanger but...

I do taxi up my grass incline and stop when the mains of my 6 make it onto the slab. Shut down, exit and swing the tail around inside. Risky? Some risk sure, but I've just been FLYING in an airplane that was built in someones garage! Just like any other part of the flight, use your head about it. No FOD, ready to go for the mixture and key if brakes fail or throttle goes wide open (I drive my car into the garage under power too)

JimS
Built and maintaining a 1800' grass runway
LIVING THE DREAM!!!