What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ZAON XRX Location

witek

Well Known Member
Hi, I know you guys in US don’t need this device thanks to ADS-B system. I’m located in Europe and we have to wait for such solution several years and I decided to install ZAON XRX.
I would like to locate this device between the engine section and the cabin in a hole like on the attached photo. Obviously the hole would closed by a plexiglas.
Will it work properly in this place?
AADOWd2r-zMVh6mPSUswy--1a

I saw such solution same time ago on other plane. Other option would be to install ZAON at this place but with the antenna partly protruding outside the skin.

I have found some guys installed ZAON in wingtips or baggage area but I don’t like such solutions.
If you have experience in this area please advice. Thanks. Witold.

Link to the photo if it is not visible above:
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/ffrxwkeqir62294/AADOWd2r-zMVh6mPSUswy--1a

Last edited:
It may work but performance will be negatively impacted.

The Zaon XRX gives you distance info based off of signal strength. Any blockage of the signal is going to cause the distance to be wrong.

zaon

Hello,
I installed my Zaon in my RV6A tip-up, above the rear baggage area and forward of the bulkhead. It is mounted on a ram mount high under the plexiglass on the right side. It was an idea found here on the forum, seems to work ok, on my Garmin 496.

Best,
Tony

Back