What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New SW from GRT

Bavafa

Well Known Member
Looks like GRT has release a new version of the SW at least for HS and HX. There are nice added funtions as well as it looks like the voice alert. I have not updated mine yet but will probably do so this weekend.

Any report on voice alert would be great if any one has done.

Merhdad - I just checked the release notes for version 35i (for HS - 25 Feb 2015) and don't see any indication there's been any change around voice alerts. Looks like this is only available for HX version 7 (05 March 2015).

I've updated my HX and love the new voice alerts.

For those that don't like the stock voice alerts go to http://www2.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php ... you can pick your own voice and wording. Just save the downloaded file as the same name as stock. Lauren, is my fav ... her voice comes across very clear with all the back ground aircraft noise.

Place the ALERT folder on the root of the USB drive ... Copy the alerts into the system using the SET MENU, General Setup, Audio, Copy Alerts function, it will copy the files from the USB to the HX. If it doesn't find the audio files, you will see an error on the bottom of the screen after it tries to load them. You can adjust the volume for the BEEP and VOICE within that page to. FYI if you keep trying to adjust the volume the system will keep playing the BEEP sound, followed by the voice, allowing you to adjust your intercom to the correct audio level. I found doing that on the ground was the easiest way to get the audio level setup.

We have been testing this for several months now and I for one am very excited about this feature. No more need to keep staring at the little red light warning. Now I can fly a wing, or lead a flight without regard for anything going on in the engine system. We have also been playing around with the different voices. Its fun to try different sources. Enjoy the new feature.

Are the audio alerts customizable or is it set to duplicate the visual alert that needs to be acknowledged by pressing the "Ack"?

Can we configure alerts for any other items like IAS or AoA and will it repeat itself or alerts just once?

I am excited to test it but looks like I may need to run a wire to B24 pin first.

Merhdad - I just checked the release notes for version 35i (for HS - 25 Feb 2015) and don't see any indication there's been any change around voice alerts. Looks like this is only available for HX version 7 (05 March 2015).

That is correct but a new function that now is also available in the HS, is the ability to arm an approach ahead of time and have the "execute" button available to push. This was not available in the older version and help specially with dual screen of one HS and one HX. Of course there is a load of other function and enhancements

Are the audio alerts customizable or is it set to duplicate the visual alert that needs to be acknowledged by pressing the "Ack"?

Can we configure alerts for any other items like IAS or AoA and will it repeat itself or alerts just once?

I am excited to test it but looks like I may need to run a wire to B24 pin first.

The only customizable part of the alerts I can see is changing the WAV file.

They are duplicates of the visual alert, but only plays once for each visual alert.

Other then the WAV files provided you can't setup any other alerts, that I can tell so far.

I wired the audio out of the GRT HX many years ago to the DME on my Garmin 340a, and the AOA from my Dynon to the ADF. This allows me to quickly turn then off the audio if a problem came up in flight.

The only customizable part of the alerts I can see is changing the WAV file.

They are duplicates of the visual alert, but only plays once for each visual alert.

Other then the WAV files provided you can't setup any other alerts, that I can tell so far.

I wired the audio out of the GRT HX many years ago to the DME on my Garmin 340a, and the AOA from my Dynon to the ADF. This allows me to quickly turn then off the audio if a problem came up in flight.

It is TECHNICALLY possible to have alerts for just about all the "events". For now GRT has released a subset but the others can be done with a little more work.

I have tested the alternate approach and know that it works.

My ***GUESS*** is that they might release info on make the others work at some later time.

A "tip" regarding making your own voices using the work from Bell Labs Research. If you use some punctuation, you can get some subtle changes in inflection so that the message comes across even more as a natural voice.

The voice alerts work on SX and Hx (HXr).

James

Figured this would happen

Before I can even get the EFIS installed, they update the software :D

Now I have to add software updates to my skill set to get this thing doing all it can for me. Actually a very good problem to have. Thanks, GRT!

Regarding B24, which I had the foresight to pigtail out of the D-sub when I did my harness... hoping that's a straightforward connection to the Trig Comm that I'm using for an audio panel as well as a radio. I'll check into the pin-outs when I get home. Exciting feature, especially if I can get a decent-sounding voice to yell at me.

-Stormy

Back