- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2014, 09:28 AM

Default RV-7 vs 14

I am also a first time builder, with what I am finding out is limited skills. I owned a -7 that I did not build and sold it a couple of years ago. When they came out with the -14, I thought it was a perfect plane. Well, almost perfect, 230MPH would be better. Here are some considerations:
1. Baggage - I want to fly to hunt and I couldn't get my rifle in the back of the 7 without taking it apart, not to mention, it's difficult to get the antlers back there for the ride home. While both specs call for 100 lbs of baggage, the 14 will accommodate larger items that are still under the weight limit, i.e. rifles.
2. Space - I am only 5'8", 160, but when a friend of mine and I would fly and we both had coats on, it got a little tight. With my headphones on, occasionally I would hit my head on the canopy. That may be a function of the canopy and not sure if the 14 is higher because I had to have a little boost to see over the panel. The guy that build the 7 was 6'2". The 14 is 3" wider in the cockpit.
3. Tip up canopy. There are advantages to the tip up canopy, being able to get in and out easier, better access to the baggage area and easier access to the back of the panel. The disadvantage as I see it is taxiing. With the slider, you could move it back to let in some air. Not sure how that would work with the tip up. Of course you can order the -7 with a tip up, I think, but mine was a slider.
4. Yes, the 14 should be easier to build. Van's is trying to put systems together, like the wiring, panel, etc. that would allow for a quicker build time. Of course you would have to like their options, or spend some extra time making modifications.

Either way, you can't go wrong, IMHO. Good luck and be sure to put Van's phone number on your speed dial. Parts is extension 2 and builder support is 5. It's fun and frustrating. It will be some of your most rewarding days and some where you wonder, "what the heck was I thinking", but as I am often told, keep plugging.
Serial #140087, N214SW - Sold
Old 02-03-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-FAH Q View Post
No, they don't. VNE on a 7 is 230 mph. And if your in the teens, TAS will be a concern. As per this article from Vans http://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/hp_limts.pdf

Either way, both great aircraft and fun to fly.
You are correct, I was thinking of the -6.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 02-03-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinRhino View Post
Is the 14 that much easier to build than a 7 or a 9 for a first time builder?
That is a difficult question to answer. Most of the people on this forum are first time builders with their first plane being a -3, 4, 6, etc.

The -14 seems like it will be much easier to build but then I didn't think the -9 was difficult to build. Time consuming yes, but not difficult. As I often tell people, "There is nothing difficult in building an airplane, just a LOT of nothing difficult."
SC86 - Easley, SC
Old 02-03-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswareiv View Post
Here are some considerations:
1. Baggage - I want to fly to hunt and I couldn't get my rifle in the back of the 7 without taking it apart, not to mention, it's difficult to get the antlers back there for the ride home. While both specs call for 100 lbs of baggage, the 14 will accommodate larger items that are still under the weight limit, i.e. rifles.
You just need to get the "right" rifle! My Winchester 94 fits fine as does my .308 Ruger Gunsite Scout and a few other toys. unfortunately, my hard case will not fit but the soft one does just fine.

However, you are correct, a "normal" length rifle is a challenge.
SC86 - Easley, SC
Old 02-03-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post
However, you are correct, a "normal" length rifle is a challenge.
...and if you've got a premium hunting rifle like a Weatherby Mark V magnum with the full 26" barrel , it's even going to be a challenge to fit in an RV-14 baggage compartment since they're almost 47" long from muzzle to recoil pad.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal@F14 View Post
...they're almost 47" long from muzzle to recoil pad.
You might as well pack a Flintlock! Seriously, that is a nice rifle!

I bought the Scout because it would fit in the RV and because I was invited to Texas to go hog hunting on some friend's land. I needed something that would fit in the RV since their neighbor has a small strip and I detest traveling by airliner.
SC86 - Easley, SC
Old 02-03-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal@F14 View Post
...and if you've got a premium hunting rifle like a Weatherby Mark V magnum with the full 26" barrel , it's even going to be a challenge to fit in an RV-14 baggage compartment since they're almost 47" long from muzzle to recoil pad.
O.K., my other passion. What can I say, I love nice toys. That's why I'm building the best! P.S., I can't figure out how to make a smaller image.
Serial #140087, N214SW - Sold
Old 02-03-2014, 10:40 PM

Search the forums for golf club storage tubes...I almost did this on my -7, but decided against it for various reasons (incompatibility with the Classic Aero full Aviator interior panels, for one), but a lot of guys build a "tube" of sorts behind the aft baggage bulkhead with a "door" to hold golf clubs, etc. (not sure how long you could reasonably make one, but I suppose you could even make it long enough for a couple pairs of skis, if you could angle them to go in correctly).
Old 02-03-2014, 11:17 PM

Default RV Speeds

People keep referring to 230 mph on the RV7 and RV9, I'm trying to understand where these speeds are taken from? Van's web site states top speed for:
RV 6 210mph
RV 7 217mph
RV 8 222mph
RV 9 197mph
RV10 211mph

Trying to figure this out, thanks
Tony
Old 02-04-2014, 09:01 AM

HW or tailwind have no effect on VNE. It's a IAS/TAS function.

George