What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Clamshell Hangar

rjtjrt

Well Known Member
In another thread (about drones) there was a video and in the background was a clamshell hangar. Anyone know more about the hangar, or have any links to it?
John

x33r.jpg

Last edited:
Clam Shells

Hello,

There are six on Waukegan Airport. A couple others in the greater Chicago area. The company went out of business years ago. One of the hangars is for sale on the airport. I'm sure if one was willing, it could be dismantled and transported to another location.

Tony

I saw that also but my post was ignored, Hanger rents in my area are $300 + a month and I'm not sure I could get away with temporary building like this but I really like the idea. A quick look at Google Earth shows six clam's and seven pads. How well do these hold up to weather? Somebody must be making something like this for civilian application?
RHill

Last edited:
Clamshell interior

The construction is corrugated aluminum panels over 2" pipe or hoops. These hoops span the diameter and all come together at two central points, one on each side. The interior will accommodate a Cessna 182. Below is a picture of an interior, "yes I understand it's cluttered, not my belongings."

Hope this helps.

Tony

05132012002_zps3c61b49a.jpg

Thank you Tony for the photos and info. It's not practical for me to move this 1,000 miles. I will be coming to Oshkosh this summer and plan to stop and check these out in detail. I'd love to reverse engineer something along these lines. It would be the perfect compliment to a Futuro home.

Clamshell hanger in the background

Hi the hanger is on my home field Wolf airpark ID is 3t2. The hanger has a guy that stores his stuff in it. I don't know the guy, but I don't think it's for sale.

A couple chapter members have clamshell hangars at 1C5 (Clow) in Bolingbrook, IL.

Overall, I'd say they're worth a look. I'm sure they'd be able to withstand severe winds/weather a bit more than a standard hanger.

The only issue I've seen so far is the way the entry door is slanted, due to the curvature of the hangar. The bottom of the door extends further out than the top and is a little bit more susceptible to weather.

Hi the hanger is on my home field Wolf airpark ID is 3t2. The hanger has a guy that stores his stuff in it. I don't know the guy, but I don't think it's for sale.
A very reclusive, short-tempered guy who talked to himself a lot used to live in there back in my old Wolfe days. Drove a late 50's Chevy pickup. But regarding the hangar, it survived Ike - so must be something to it.

Back