- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-08-2013, 08:05 PM
been here awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv9av8tr View Post

She went from fearful to excited... I'd be VERY concerned she'll go back to fearful if she gets frustrated right out of the gate. MTC
Let her learn to fly in the same type plane that took her from "fearful to excited" so she will remain excited.

Got some (RV) testosterone flowing in this thread.

I hate to think what might have happened if I had taken primary training in my RV-6...........

Last edited by Sam Buchanan : 04-08-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:09 PM
fugio ergo sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by luddite42 View Post
... And a 160 hp RV-6 with 2-up is hardly more high performance than a 180 Cherokee. I hope nobody says one of those would be too much for a new pilot to handle learning in.
Wow, I have to wonder if you have actually flown a 180 Cherokee. I have, a lot, and find any RV-6 to be in a whole different and very much higher performance category.

RV-6 N441LP Flying
Old 04-08-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5lp View Post
Wow, I have to wonder if you have actually flown a 180 Cherokee. I have, a lot, and find any RV-6 to be in a whole different and very much higher performance category.
I've flown both. If you want to do the math, a 180 Cherokee with 2-up has a better power-to-weight ratio than a 160hp RV-6 with 2-up, both with the same fuel. A loaded 150-160hp RV-6 doesn't feel very high performance to me. Yeah, it's a little faster and it rolls faster. But a 150 rolls a good bit faster than a 172. Nobody is saying a 150 is too high performance. And I don't know that the RV being a little faster than the Cheroke 180 has to do with much. A Cherokee 180 is a lot faster than a 150. What does top speed have to do with doing circuits at pattern speed, learning to fly the airplane? Is it possibly that the thought of a primary student learning in an RV deflates our Walter Mitty self image as a hotstuff "high performance" RV pilot?

Last edited by luddite42 : 04-08-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:29 PM

Just a reminder, the OP is talking about a 6. They have the little wheel in the back. I developed most of my stick, rudder, and tailwheel skills in a squirrly antique, not in the 6.
Our newly minted RV owner in the neighborhood has put 40 hours in a J5 with his new 7 waiting in his hangar until he can get his transition from Mike Seager. I know he will be prepared.
I am not saying other folks are wrong but I know this works. Take that for whatever it may be worth.
Most of all, be thrilled she want a to learn. That is awesome!

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luddite42 View Post
... Is it possibly that the thought of a primary student learning in an RV deflates our Walter Mitty self image as a hotstuff "high performance" RV pilot?...
Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner!

I've read stories of teenagers flying their daddy's P-51 on their initial solo...

If you don't know something is hard, you just deal with it. I'd say give the girl a chance and see how she does. If the experience doesn't work out, then move on to something else.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
1984 L39C - flyable, available for sale

Last edited by Toobuilder : 04-08-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:29 PM

You can be successful either way with the right student/instructor combo. I'm a new tail wheel instructor myself in a Citabria.

I think it's better to learn to add and subtract with a pencil and paper before using a calculator, the same with airplanes. I'm a big believer in this concept when it comes to IFR flying, students with moving maps (calculators) blindly follow it without knowing why and it can lead to trouble.

I learned tail wheel in a champ and I believe the antiques are the pencil and paper. They make you understand what is happening and why and make you fly them. Plus they are a TON of fun!
Old 04-08-2013, 09:36 PM

Default interesting

" I've read stories of teenagers flying their daddy's P-51 on their initial solo..."

Interesting tale...like to read the account but, could not find it on the internet.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Rome View Post
" I've read stories of teenagers flying their daddy's P-51 on their initial solo..."

Interesting tale...like to read the account but, could not find it on the internet.
This type of story used to pop up in Sport Aviation from time to time back in the early 80's. One kid flew the family P-51, Pitts, Jetranger and about 12 other aircraft on the day of this PPL checkride IIRC. The "initial solo" thing was a Reno racer Mustang, to boot (I think).
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
1984 L39C - flyable, available for sale
Old 04-08-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toobuilder View Post

I've read stories of teenagers flying their daddy's P-51 on their initial solo...

If you don't know something is hard, you just deal with it. I'd say give the girl a chance and see how she does. If the experience doesn't work out, then move on to something else.
... And, not a "story I heard", but a fact, a new P51 pilot with a significant amount of training, torque rolled his $2M airplane into the pavement on his first solo a couple of years ago.
Give the girl a chance? I know you chat about expanding the envelope by taking chances and i dont totally disagree but I guess the OP needs to decide himself, along with her, if that is the program they want to sign up for.
It wouldn't be mine. Not everybody can just "deal with it".

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:08 PM

I'd have to agree with Luddite and Toobuilder here. RVs are very docile and only high performance in terms of a few more knots and higher ROC. Can easily fix that with the throttle if you want. RVs are easy to land period and besides having quicker control response and lighter forces, don't fly much differently than a Cherokee for instance. If you start on an RV with a good instructor, it would all seem normal from the beginning because you have nothing else to compare it to.

A good instructor is key. My Dad learned to fly in a T6 which is a WAY more challenging airplane to fly than any RV. He did fine and so did most of the other students with any talent.

I would have loved to train on an RV6. I think learning on a TW aircraft will make you a better pilot in any aircraft.

I know many RV pilots like to pretend that they are hot ships. I can't agree. Easiest airplane to fly that I have flown. Anyone who had previous Citabria, Cub or TW Cessna time previously have all said how easy it was to fly a TW RV.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 436.1 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi2.htm