What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 headliner/doors fabric covering

AviatorJ

Well Known Member
I'm working on my doors right now assuming that I'll micro and paint the interior side of them. I also plan on using the aerosport headliner which covers the back end of the cabin top.

This got me thinking that maybe I can cover everything with some type of headliner fabric. I may be simplifying it but wouldn't some contact cement allow me to just cover everything? I'm sure I could find some edging as well to finish the edge.

Would be interested to see someone else who has done similar.

I'm working on my doors right now assuming that I'll micro and paint the interior side of them. I also plan on using the aerosport headliner which covers the back end of the cabin top.

This got me thinking that maybe I can cover everything with some type of headliner fabric. I may be simplifying it but wouldn't some contact cement allow me to just cover everything? I'm sure I could find some edging as well to finish the edge.

Would be interested to see someone else who has done similar.

Areosport Products sells a headliner for the RV-10. It makes replacing the headliner material down the road very easy should it get dirty or worn.

Good morning! Yes I had planned to use that, but it doesn't cover the front area and they don't have anything for doors. Wasn't sure what others have done in regards to finishing the entire cabin top and doors with some type of material.

Justin if you are using one of the Aerosport Overhead console all you need to
do up front is finish of the cabin top and blend it into the Overhead console.
See the picture attached. Finish the cabin top inside really nice. You can also leave the Over console Carbon showing and still blend and have a nice transition line.
0_0_76c5c85cbb9899744f18849e4bc92bed_1

Geoff
http://aerosportproducts.com

Geoff I actually already have your overhead console installed and I left it carbon fiber.

IMG_2882.JPG

I assume I'll finish the doors in much of the same manner. But that gets me back to what people have done on the doors, seems like you could just 3M adhesive some matching headliner fabric to the door and put some type of trim on it and have a nice finished look.

I assume I'll finish the doors in much of the same manner. But that gets me back to what people have done on the doors, seems like you could just 3M adhesive some matching headliner fabric to the door and put some type of trim on it and have a nice finished look.

You need to keep in mind that any material on the doors will get dirty. You need to think through how you'll replace the material when it does and how much effort that will take.

Ernst Frietag covered his doors. He did have to fabricate some fiberglass pieces to cover the edges of the material. He's reachable through VAF PM.

RV 10 headliner

I did mine with swede and it turned out great. Hardest was bonding the windows and windscreen and not damaging the swede . Lots of pre planning and ensuring its smooth. Email me and I'll send you some pics of the installation.

I would not put any covering on the door. I would paint it the same as your cabin top finish with a slight semigloss texture. It takes a little more time to
finish the inside door skin but the results are really nice.Here is a picture of
my doors finished to match the cabin top. If using the McMaster Carr door seals your inside door surface needs to seal off on the door.
FWIW
0_0_c8b4cc68cc481760fa11932c16c3e673_1

Geoff

Justin, is that paint or primer inside your cabin top? If paint, how'd you accomplish the semi-gloss look?

It's all rattlecan SEM High Build Primer followed by 3 coats or so of SEM Dove Gray... then I used SEM Low Luster Clear for both the Carbon and top. I didn't want it too shiny.

Based on the posts I suppose I'm going to paint the door too in the same manner.

I had the front upholstered to match/compliment the rear headliner. It was a fair amount of work. I had to build a lip our of metal for the fabric to wrap around where it meet the windshield. Ultimately it came out great. I'm really happy with it. Don't have any pictures easily accessible.

I would not put any covering on the door. I would paint it the same as your cabin top finish with a slight semigloss texture. It takes a little more time to
finish the inside door skin but the results are really nice.Here is a picture of
my doors finished to match the cabin top. If using the McMaster Carr door seals your inside door surface needs to seal off on the door.
FWIW
0_0_c8b4cc68cc481760fa11932c16c3e673_1

Geoff

I see Aerosport rudder pedal extensions in the photo, but not on your website. Am I not holding my head right or something? Still making these?

Thanks, Geoff

Looks like JD-Air or feet on the sides of the pedal frames are the cost-effective solutions, here.

Looking forward to talking with you this year about my -10 interior options :)

Just to add fuel for thought, they sell "headliner glue". It is quite a bit better than the normal stuff used on interior fabric in when used on a hot surfaces like a roof. It is a contact type cement and is available in spray cans as well as gallons etc. If you use glue don't put so much on it that it soaks the fabric or it will look funny.

Justin,

You photo doesn't show the area of the cabin top that I am currently worried about. I have blended the overhead console into the top, and have applied several coats of UV Smooth Prime to the entire top interior, but there are a few areas that are pretty rough as they come from Van's. In particular the front "pillars" between the wind screen and the doors. The rough part faces the wind screen, so I'm not sure if it will show when the plane is completed, but I'm curious if you did anything with your top to better finish these areas.

I'm debating if I should try to smooth it all out with some epoxy/micro mix, or just leave it as-is and paint it. Would appreciate thoughts from other builders on how to deal with this.

Thanks

Justin,

You photo doesn't show the area of the cabin top that I am currently worried about. I have blended the overhead console into the top, and have applied several coats of UV Smooth Prime to the entire top interior, but there are a few areas that are pretty rough as they come from Van's. In particular the front "pillars" between the wind screen and the doors. The rough part faces the wind screen, so I'm not sure if it will show when the plane is completed, but I'm curious if you did anything with your top to better finish these areas.

I'm debating if I should try to smooth it all out with some epoxy/micro mix, or just leave it as-is and paint it. Would appreciate thoughts from other builders on how to deal with this.

Thanks

If you take a look at mykitlog.com site under finish kit and cabin cover, you'll see many photos of my cabin cover.

Micro will work but it will take a little more elbow grease.

Since this isn't structural, I used use auto body icing. It's much easier to sand than micro and hardens much faster too. It will allow you to get done faster.

https://www.amazon.com/USC-26006-Icing-tube-Finishing/dp/B00GQ1X1MQ

You'll notice that mine is like glass. It was finished that way to allow Geoff to make his headliner molds without all the defects in he cabin cover as it comes from Vans.

My concern is the smooth prime. You will probably need to remove it. I'm not sure how well epoxy or the auto body icing will,adhere to it. Others will probably know better than I do.

2nuj6op.jpg

Here is a picture of our latest cabin top liner installation.
We use and recommend 3m Neoprene High Performance Contact Adhesive 1357.

Thank You Mike!
I look forward to being an active member of our community here. I have 21 years of aircraft maintenance experience; military, commercial, corporate, and now experimental.
I've spent the last two years building my first RV10. This sector has re-inspired my passion for aviation!!!:D

Last edited:
Back