What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Application for registration of aircraft, bill of sale?

terry.mortimore

Well Known Member
Hi gang:

I just received my MD-RA package and the first thing to do is send in the application for registration of aircraft. In the fifth block down they want to know if the aircraft is subject of 1) Lease 2) Bill of sale 3) Conditional Sales Agreement 4) IDERA 5) Other.

Anybody know what the correct answer is? I paid all the sales taxes when I imported the kits and accessories. I have a call into my inspector, but I was hoping to look after this today.

Thanks Terry

In the USA

If it's the same in Canada as it is here in the US. It would be Bill of Sale. You have to request it from Vans.
Near the end of the build you can request a Bill of Sales from Vans. This is what I did, as many others have that completed their RV's.
Sent it in with my registration paperwork. Got the registration back, and have been flying strong since!

Last edited:
Mdra

Terry
A bill of sale implies that you have bought the aircraft from a single source,as a complete unit. If you have assembled the plane from the usual collection of parts from many sources, a bill of sale is not really applicable.
My choice would be "other".
You will eventually receive a friendly letter from the government requesting sales tax on the value of the plane that they have recently licensed.
For every homebuilt I have been involved with, I have always answered that the plane was built from many parts and materials purchased at RETAIL sources, and that I had a box full of receipts to prove taxes had been paid.
Always worked.

Just went through this in the US. Requested the BoS from Vans and they had it to me in around 10 days. They will only provide one per kit and only upon request.

Bill of Sale

When I went through this process, Lancair sent me a Bill of Sale for the kit showing the price I paid. That's what I submitted to the FAA. I think the intent here is simply to prove a chain of ownership.

In Canada we do not require a bill of sale from Van's (built two) chose other and say kit built.

Sales tax

In Pennsylvania, aircraft parts and accessories are exempt from sales tax. Probably true in a few other States as well.

Ron B. and burgessbuilderMO13 are correct, the answer you want is "Other" and "Kit Built". The other entries assume you've bought a completed aircraft.

Thanks guys, it's in the mail. Hopefully the bureaucrats will treat me kindly and turn it around quickly.

Terry

Pretty sure it was the C of R that took 8 weeks and then there was the threat of a postal strike (last summer) and TC thought they would do me a favor, so they held on to my certificate for another two weeks waiting to see what outcome of the strike threat would be.
The TC office is in BC and I live in NS (other coast) . Since TC could not get their act together I told them I would pick it up in person. I did not tell them I had transition training scheduled in WA and after that I was on a few days of sight seeing so we drove up to the office and picked up my C of R and continued to Victoria to visit my niece .
Point being , in Canada apply early.

Good point on apply early

I ticked other and kit built and so far i am legal all around.

Going for C of R sometime late spring.

Back