What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us the Status of your RV-12

Decalin RunUp

Earlier on the form and at Vans TCP was removed as an additive to help with 100LL. So just to be sure RV12 fliers can use Decalin Runup as an additive to help reduce lead build up when running 100% 100LL and this does not hurt or void the warranty with Rotax? Thxs John

John Albury
RV 12 Flying as of 6/5/2010
N1212K
S/N 120079

RV-12 Status

I had the DAR here today and he did a very thorough job...found a few things that needed to be tightened, and one rivet that didn't get put in just right, and found some minor "seepage" at a few brake fluid joints...I am going to drain the brake system, put FAR more 'goop' on the fittings than I had used and refill the system, then await that perfect morning and go fly...should be in a week or less. 17 months of working about 3 hours a day (due to family responsibilities) .. if I could have worked more or less full time it would have only taken 8 months or a bit less.

Just about in the air !!!!

Look - no legs

Caption competition ;-)

24f7m.jpg

First public appearance - took the work-in-progress to an airshow we were holding at our local airport. Definitely tail heavy with no dong at the front.

Cheers...Keith

Dave, your website is excellent and I have consulted it religiously during tail construction. Only problem....I have the wing kit ordered next so we will be out of sync. Maybe you could set the fuse aside and start on the WINGS!

Dave, your website is excellent and I have consulted it religiously during tail construction. Only problem....I have the wing kit ordered next so we will be out of sync. Maybe you could set the fuse aside and start on the WINGS!

FYI .. our blog www.unicom12.blogspot.com has some wing info ... just finished the wings a few weeks ago and now on the fuse... or as i like to call it, the nutplate kit. let me know if u have any questions.

Here's a couple of pic's of the RV12 status as of Friday July 23, 2010. The day before I leave on my great western adventure with my daughter in our RV8.
The cockpit has just been mated to the empe-cone. Previous to the mate, all wiring, fuel lines, brake lines, rudder pedals, and all controls were rigged with the cockpit on its side on the work bench. The only thing that had to be done in the tunnel, was run the trim cable forward. That was fairly easily accomplished with leaving ty-wraps loose in the tunnel area.

Fuselage was finally recieved in Mid May after ordering the complete Kit the first week in January. About 50 hours to complete the tail section, then a 3 month wait.

Unfortunately, my 12 year old helper lost interest during the long wait for more kits. I lost interest in keeping track of my hours, Oh well!

In the paint shop...

At 24 hours on the hobbs, I delivered the plane to the preparation bay in the paint shop at SunQuest Air, Paine Field, Everett, WA. I did the disassembly required for painting and left it in their hands.
959793261_smazc-M.jpg

SunQuest has been in business 16 years and have done RVs and many other aircraft up to the size of the Kodiak and Cessna Caravan, on which they do repaints for FedEX. My plane will be their first RV-12.

Met some really nice and professional folks there and am looking forward to seeing their work on my 12. I will try to get some progress pictures, but am pretty sure they don't want me hanging around getting in the way.

Tony

Last edited:
Finally painted, and blessed by the UK LAA to at least apply for permission to test fly...

qwxfo6.jpg

Cheers...Keith_in_Scotland

Last edited:
Last edited:
Check my galleries in a few days as I plan to take some more shots once the aircraft is home from the paint shop. I will also post one or two good shots on the forum.

Tony

Looking good Dave!

Dave,
Your -12 is really coming together. I'm still pounding away on the -8. I hope to some day return the favor of giving you a ride since you were so gracious to take me up 4 years ago in your -6 and firmly set the RV hook in me!
I need to come down and see your project in person.

Finished my flaperons today so far invested just short of 290 hours to get to this stage. Next step is to move house and the kit then start on the fuselage.

I'm amazed how far I've come in 8 months and would say to anyone considering building an RV-12 do it the kit won't disappoint

The journey begins

Hey Guys, New builder here. The pic was Fri. evening. By yesterday VS, Rudder, AS Tabs already finished. If the hole build goes like the tail section, I'll be flying in a month or 2 LOL. I'm sure to have questions down the road, just wanting to say thanks in advance.
Mark
DSC03375.jpg

First engine start

Started my Rv-12 for the first time today. Took some time to get the fuel pumped up but once started oil pressure and everything looked good.

Kit: 120054

The Jabiru Project

Pete, my boss, got some time away from his computer today to work on his newest project, the RV-12. This little bird will eventually have a Jabiru 2200 in it. :cool:

uYF8sMTHBIiX33j4nxDRBg

As a -3 builder, seeing this much progress in this short of time makes me want to giggle and barf all at the same time!

RV 12 leaving "Mutha's" nest

Not quite a year since ordering a 12 kit, this RV12 is ready to go to the airport!

Things left to do at airport are:
Fit wings and drill flaperon acuators
Fit stabilator and rudder cables
install brake lines
complete throttle and choke cables
a few misc. items

The RV 12 kit never ceases to amaze me!

Take your red/cyan 3D glasses!

-Stop-
Message from Santa
No presents this year
Aircraft still not ready
Try to find your red/cyan 3D glasses
We wish you all a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!!!
-Stop-

(Click picture for high resolution)

(Link to original)

Last edited:
Off to the Airport

My garage looks so strange without an airplane in it...

We took it to the airport today. Major items left to do are wing painting, and the product acceptance procedures.

A big thanks goes to my friends in EAA Chapter 1300 for their support though out the project and today with a very graceful move.

121910.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Empenage kit

At last i have my empenage kit at home! No damages at all :) :) :) Now i m starting inventory :) SN 120479

regards

Back