What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2 each G5's; one slaved ??

larryj

Well Known Member
I'm hoping the experts can jump in and answer this easily. I am putting in a G3X-Touch panel with a G5 up front as standby and have accommodations for a second G5 in the backseat. I'd rather not run air to the backseat; can it be wired to basically be driven from the main panel ??
The front seat has:
G3X-Touch
GTN-725
GTR-200
GTX-345
GMC-307
G5
EI MVP-50
The back seat has:
G5

I have two G5s in my RV-6 for the past 5 or 6 months. I want to say NO you must run pitot / static to both units. I would have plumbed my system the way you want if it were possible. I did read the G5 and G3X manuals. I am sure the G3X Expert will correct me if I am wrong.

Since I do not have a G3X to play with, I do not believe that it will provide pitot / static data to a redundant G5. There may be a way to program into the unit a way to make your back seat G5 display G3X pitot / static info from the G3X ADHARS.

Waiting for the G3X Expert to provide info.

I'm hoping the experts can jump in and answer this easily. I am putting in a G3X-Touch panel with a G5 up front as standby and have accommodations for a second G5 in the backseat. I'd rather not run air to the backseat; can it be wired to basically be driven from the main panel ??
The front seat has:
G3X-Touch
GTN-725
GTR-200
GTX-345
GMC-307
G5
EI MVP-50
The back seat has:
G5

Hello Larry,

You can disable the air data sensors on a G5 if you don't want to display airspeed and altitude, but if you want to use all the capabilities of a G5, you must connect the pitot/static lines.

Thanks,
Steve

Why not just toss another g3x screen in the back? I?m wiring up a -8 now with this setup. Power, ground, can bus, gtx rs232 line for adsb info.

Hi Timberwolf,
Not enough room.
The Rocket is a little tighter than the -8; plus I've moved my seat aft so I (pilot) have tons of leg room. As it is the G5 is a little "in your face" for the PAX.

Sounds like I've got to run air to the PAX. Darn. Garmin Expert: there's a suggestion for your product development !! Allow the G5 to be "slaved".

Back