What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying in Maine Dec 16, 2017

Dvalcik

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Yesterday a gaggle of 5 RVs headed to breakfast (2 RV7s, RV8, RV9, & RV12). We had some snow in the week that made it a little difficult to get out planes out of the hangers due to the ice since all of the RV hangers but one have full sun during the day :(. We had about an inch of dusting Friday night with a planned departure of 9 am Sat morning. When I left the house it was 8 degs Flew to Lewiston?Auburn for breakfast and the headed to Fryeburg for a holiday flying.

Taxing out to make fresh tracks. :)

121017 flt_01.jpg

121017 flt_02.jpg

Kennebec River

121017 flt_03.jpg

121017 flt_04.jpg

121017 flt_05.jpg

121017 flt_06.jpg

121017 flt_07.jpg

Great flying weather - just dress warm :rolleyes:

Im getting a deep Chill just looking at those Pics. But I applaud the since of adventure. Update us when you land on that frozen lake.:D

The plan is to land on Mooselookmeguntic on February 24, 2018.

Who else is in?

Governor, Russki says that he is coming up! Are you in?

Maybe we can stay at the Bungalow that evening?

:cool: CJ

The plan is to land on Mooselookmeguntic on February 24, 2018.

Who else is in?

Governor, Russki says that he is coming up! Are you in?

Maybe we can stay at the Bungalow that evening?

:cool: CJ

See you then :D have a great holiday

Captain if Alton Bay opens before Feb 24th we can schedule a breakfast or lunch gathering :)

alton bay 05.jpg

alton bay 01.jpg

Last edited:
Caribou (Loring AFB)

I spent three years stationed at Loring AFB which is now closed. Your pictures reminded me of both the beauty and the severe cold. Flying in that environment made me a much better pilot but living up there in the 80?s with my wife an infant sons was tough for an Okie and Texan. Our sons are grown and my wife and I are seniors so memories are important.

Since you live there I don?t need to remind you that icing, super cold temperatures, and runway environment are nothing to play around with. Enjoy the winter and be safe. Maine is truly a beautiful state for being outdoors in all four seasons.

I spent three years stationed at Loring AFB which is now closed. Your pictures reminded me of both the beauty and the severe cold. Flying in that environment made me a much better pilot but living up there in the 80?s with my wife an infant sons was tough for an Okie and Texan. Our sons are grown and my wife and I are seniors so memories are important.

Since you live there I don?t need to remind you that icing, super cold temperatures, and runway environment are nothing to play around with. Enjoy the winter and be safe. Maine is truly a beautiful state for being outdoors in all four seasons.

So true Jim. I love that state and I am lucky to be only couple RV hours from it. Your former AFB is still intact, very impressive and reminds me of my youth on the other side of the fence.

Lorin%20-%201.jpg

80 NM to the east there is an abandoned forestry strip with camping spots, outhouses and fire pits. Great place far from civilization.

abandoned%20field%20in%20Maine%20-%201%201.jpg

abandoned%20field%20in%20Maine%20-%201.jpg

And of course winter in Rangeley. Unbeatable.

Maine%20-%201_1.jpg

As a true transplanted Texan, I agree with your comments. We love it up here, on a side note I am trying to arrange a flyin at Loring for the spring. ( More to come )

Back