What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Choices

Sandrews

Well Known Member
Getting close to engine ordering time for the -10. Going with the IO-540. Question is which supplier. Choices below:

Factory new Lycoming from Vans. 13 week lead time.
Reman from BPE. 13 week lead time.
Reman from Western Skyways. 6 week lead time.

Prices are within $6k.

Thanks

BPE

I went with the BPE. Rhonda and Allen have been AWESOME to work with...

Highly recommended.

If you plan on making any mods, Vans may not be the way to go as it will be a box stock engine...

Rhonda e-mailed me on Friday to talk about shipping/delivery for my BPE IO-540. They have been great to work with.

When I chose BPE, I considered new Lycoming, new Titan, rebuilt by BPE, rebuilt by Aerosport Power, rebuilt by Zephyr Engines in Florida, and rebuilding it myself. I thought they were all viable options, but chose BPE because they were very open to discussing options and offered a no-pressure selling approach.

All good choices. Call Jeff Schans at Lycoming's Thunderbolt division. They have been amazing to work with as well, and all parts are new, built the way you want it.

Vic

Kyle- how was actual production time vs time quoted?

Thanks

My commentary on that won't help you. <Sorry> I ordered the engine last Summer or early Fall for a Spring delivery.

Since then, I've told 'em that I'm in no hurry for the engine, and have encouraged them to put more time critical engines in front of mine.

Timeline

Don't worry about the timeline, there are tons of things to do while waiting. I finished all of the gear fairings while waiting. Also, do what you will to the firewall before it gets there as there is t much room to work with the engine mounted. Realize that you also need the mount bolts and lord mounts to hang the engine. Van's has the mounts for $125 each so say goodbye to another 500...then there is the lead time on the prop. And don't forget the exhaust...

Funny, 95% of the structure is done but 90% of the cost still remains!

I have heard some great things about BPE engines. I unfortunately never got the great feeling that everyone else had. I contacted them late in 2016, and it took a couple of weeks to make contact. I told them what I was looking for in an engine and was subsequently sent a listing of options, but never really got a good explanation of "BPE recommend configurations." I tried again early this year to nail down an engine, and again hit them "at a busy time." I would probably still buy a BPE if they would ever just call me back and say I have a core for you and here is the cost and timeline...

Aerosport Power

Have you called Aerosport Power? Aerosport did my engine and I recommend them with great confidence. They were excellent to deal with and the price was competitive. They've been popular with RV builders for a very long time.

Contact

Kind of curious that you have had issues contacting BPE. I talk to them on a regular basis and never have a problem getting a hold of them...

No Used Parts

I had an excellent 20 minute discussion with Rhonda of BPE at Oshkosh. That and the company's fine reputation made them a serious contender for my engine purchase. Ultimately I selected new from Lycoming through Vans.

Customization was not need for me, which was one of BPE's (and Thunderbolt's) advantages. Also I received a new crankcase and a new crankshaft rather than used parts from an engine with unknown history. Yes, inspections usually find any defects and Lycoming incorporates recycled parts in its remans, but new gives me a good feeling.

I tend to do most of my communication by email for things like this (so I have things in writing). I did talk to Rhonda a couple of times by phone but mostly it was through email and I found response to be somewhat slow at times. However, it wasn't the speed but the quality of the response that prompts me to tell you that BPE was definitely a good choice. They gave me exactly what I asked for and gave great advice on the things I had questions about. I'd do BPE again in a heartbeat (but if Superior ever markets a 540...)

If you delve back in the forums a year or so ago, you'll find my posts complaining that I could not seem to contact any engine builders despite repeated requests for quotes. BPE was the only one that bothered, though a couple of others posted here with promises to contact me and never did. So it came down to really no choice, even if they had been awful. Imagine my relief to find out how awesome BPE was. And the moral for all the vendors out there is: if you want the business, communicate.

If you delve back in the forums a year or so ago, you'll find my posts complaining that I could not seem to contact any engine builders despite repeated requests for quotes.

I had that experience too. That, or vendors following up months after an initial contact at Oshkosh or Sun N Fun. I have had similar experiences with avionics with several shops - both nationally known and local. Steinair has been great on that front, as has Stark, but others have just dropped the ball.

I've rationalized that there are a lot of tire kickers out there and maybe the vendors are on a "three ask" plan where they don't think you're serious until you contact them at least 3 times...

I had that experience too. That, or vendors following up months after an initial contact at Oshkosh or Sun N Fun. I have had similar experiences with avionics with several shops - both nationally known and local. Steinair has been great on that front, as has Stark, but others have just dropped the ball.

I've rationalized that there are a lot of tire kickers out there and maybe the vendors are on a "three ask" plan where they don't think you're serious until you contact them at least 3 times...

I filled out the quote request form on AeroSport's website, which had an option for "I'm gathering information/shopping long term". They still responded within two days or so.

Kind of curious that you have had issues contacting BPE. I talk to them on a regular basis and never have a problem getting a hold of them...

Maybe you are the reason they are too busy to reply to me ;)

Just kidding. My experience is just that, my experience. Please go out and chat with Rhonda.

Current Delivery Time for Vans

Hi,

I was just asked to send my last funds for the Vans IO-540, so I'm likely the most current lead time measure, I did thunderbolt not sure if that helps or hinders.

Ordered 4/24
Ship 6/07.

11 weeks.

Derek

second on Lycoming's Thunderbolt division. very happy with my custom o-360 roller lifters, flowed heads. :)
P1020220.jpg

Back