What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Chrome connection??

RV7Guy

Well Known Member
Anyone have a connection to get a few small parts chromed? Exhaust brackets specifically and a couple of others as well.

Now thats an interesting question---Might try one of the truck chrome shops at rechrome bumpers, and other stuff. I remember one being around Florence, SC, Charlotte, NC, so I'd expect one to be around the larger cities out west.

Tom

Depending on the quality you want you may be able to find someone locally, but if not here is one of the best in the US. Custom Chrome, Grafton Ohio. I can tell you they are not cheep. If you go online there are many good places . Also check with any custom Motorcycle shop, they will probably have someone local

In my not so distant past I restored Austin Healey's and had a lot of expensive , hard to replace parts chromed. The plating part is easy, its the prep and the buffing that make the difference. A bad prep can screw up a part fast. It will also alter the fits of a part. There is usually a layer of copper under the chrome. Thicker chrome is not better chrome.

Hope this helps.

One last thought. there are some great chrome looking powder coats out now that look great.

Nickel?

In my race car days we used bright nickel plate on the steel parts instead of chrome. It was nearly impossible to tell the difference and with nickel there is no hydrogen embrittlement problem.

Not long ago I had some banjo parts nickel plated at Nashville Plating in Nashville, Tenn. They also do chrome. I was very happy but it seemed pricy although I have not ever had anything plated before so I cannot really compare.

Back