What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Kit Sequence

mciaglia

Well Known Member
As I am just getting ready to finish up the elevators and get ready to start the tailcone, I am trying to plan for the next stage...

So...

I was planning on QB wings and slow build fuse. Is there any reason not to order the fuse kit next?

Cost is not the issue, its work and room. My thought is that there isn't a lot to do on the QB wings and after a few months I will be ordering the fuse kit. Subsequently having to store the wings for a while waiting till I head to the airport for mounting them. The fuse can offer "years" of work and can still be done in my garage.

Just wondering if there is any reason to do the QB wings.

To answer why I am doing slow fuse and QB wings... I am so OCD that I want the primers to match in the fuse. Plus, I heard the fuse is fun to build while the wings are the epitome of wash..rinse..repeat. Also planning on AC and will have to deal with the mods associated with it.

Thanks for the input

Watch the lead times on the wings. That burned me a bit.

No issue at all with your plan. But how much space do you have to work in? I did the QB wings first and am glad I did. They can be stored vertically and don't take up a lot of space. Not sure I could have made it work if I had to work around the fuselage. But I only have an extra long single stall to work in. The wife wasn't willing to give up her stall :)

Last edited:
I did exactly what you are suggesting. No problem. Just be aware Vans will add the wing center section to the fuselage kit (about an additional $1200, if I remember correctly) as you will need it to build the fuselage.

My wife is still working on me to go with QB wings to speed up the process. :confused:

I did exactly what you are suggesting. No problem. Just be aware Vans will add the wing center section to the fuselage kit (about an additional $1200, if I remember correctly) as you will need it to build the fuselage.

My wife is still working on me to go with QB wings to speed up the process. :confused:
Just ordered SB fuselage and QB wing. Vans does charge $1318 for the wing center section on the fuselage invoice but they credit you the same amount when you pay for the wing.

Mike

Nothing wrong with your plan but.....
I would complete the wings first.
Building the wings is not quite as "boring" as some would have you believe.
Even with the QB version you'll have to make decisions on lighting, AP and trim
choices along with pitot static and angle of attack indicator installation choices. Building the fuselage before the wings is a little bit like eating dessert before the spinach and broccoli.(Think about that for a minute :eek:)
Hanging or storing the wings is easy and if not somewhere around your house, a friend with a hangar should be able to accommodate your wings for a while.
Completing the empenage/tailcone section teaches you valuable building skills
and adding the experience of building a set of wings will solidify your skills
and fully prepare you for the challenges of building the fuselage.

Building the wings is not quite as "boring" as some would have you believe.

I'm in the process of my slow build wings. I don't think they're boring - they just take a TON of time. The fuel tanks have sucked, really. I'm getting close to having those complete. I've been doing both in tandem rather than complete one, then move to the other. Hindsight being what it is, if I had to do it all over again, I think I'd go quick build - yes it costs more, but every once in a while i get in this mode where i wish this thing would move faster.

Center section part number?

Does anyone know the part number for the center section that comes in the wing kit? In the fuse plans it's listed at F-1004 but part number isn't on the wing packing list.

Back