What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Loose CHT Connection

istrumit

Well Known Member
Hello All -

I didnt build my -10, so I need a pointer.

My CHT on #2 drops off line intermittently

Hit an air bump, it drops off line. Land, it pops back on line.

EGT is good. Engine runs great...so, this is a loose connection on CHT #2.

Where is the most likely place to look ? The panel was built by Stein if that helps.

Thanks

Scott

Start with the easiest location - at the probe. Check the wiring and the probe itself to make sure it's seated and the wiring isn't loose or compromised. The next place would be at the pins that connect the probe to whatever engine monitor/AHRS/EFIS it's hooked up to. If the wiring checks out then I'd swap the probes with another cylinder to see if the probe itself is going bad.

bayonet

notice carefully how it is constructed, if it is a bayonet mount. They can be threaded in and out. Adjusting this varies the spring load pressure up against hot metal. The bayonet can pop off if adjusted too loose as well. That and wiring is the most likely. The voltages produced by the probe bi-metal are quite small, so conductivity is crucial.

Swap probes

Swap two of the probes on one side of the engine and see if the problem moves.

My failures have been in the probes themselves.

Swap two of the probes on one side of the engine and see if the problem moves.

My failures have been in the probes themselves.

+1 on this recommendation. But in my case the failures have been the spade connectors not the actual probes. And as flightlogic noted, on a bayonet probe if the spring tension isn't enough the probes will make intermittent contact and give the indication you describe.
:cool:

Last edited:
Another place to look is check for extensions to the leads. A poor connection there could be your trouble.

Back