What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

If you couldn't build a 12.....

walldan

Well Known Member
If you were not able to build an RV12, what other LSA would top your list? I do like the RV 12, but certain things beyond my control are forcing me to look at a scratch build instead of buying a kit.

I would also like to build a 12 but can not even come close to affording one. A Sonex would still be pushing my budget to the limit. I will most likely decide on a Belite Super Cub, I should be able to build and fly for about $15K. It is not exactly what I want but at least I'd be flying and I should be able to afford it.

I would also like to build a 12 but can not even come close to affording one. A Sonex would still be pushing my budget to the limit. I will most likely decide on a Belite Super Cub, I should be able to build and fly for about $15K. It is not exactly what I want but at least I'd be flying and I should be able to afford it.

Joe, I am with you. My wife is going back to school which trumps my toys. I am considering a scratch build on a CH 750 cruizer. At first I really thought they were ugly, but as I learned more about how they were designed and why... I am okay with the look.

Kitplanes magazine publishes an annual roundup of all types of homebuilts. Might be worth leafing through that to see what other scratch-built designs might suit you.

Maybe consider getting a partner or two for the 12?

Or build a 12 as E/A-B instead of ELSA, and you might be able to find a used engine and used avionics that will work.

I'm not sure you'll actually save any money scratch building an aircraft that is also available as a kit. I know 2 builders who went this route, and after they totaled up their expenses, the cost savings was minimal compared to the price of a kit. They were OK with this because they wanted the challenge of building from scratch, but if your goal is to save money, you might estimate the cost of the materials for the entire scratch-built project before making your decision. You might also need additional tools (bending brake, welding equipment, etc.) with a scratch-built project that wouldn't be necessary with a kit.

For flying solo, I'd go with a Panther.

If I was small and flew with small passengers, I'd go with a Sonex.

Honestly a Taylorcraft or Aeronca would be my first budget LSA choice. You can find nice ones for $25K or less.

I looked at the Merlin PSA ( http://aeromarine-lsa.com/merlin-psa/performance-specs/ )

It's not sexy, but the overall cost with quite a few bells and whistles, PLUS builder assist isn't too bad. For about $10K more than a Jeep Grand Cherokee, you could be flying. Make it basic and shave a lot off that price. When I win the Megabucks tomorrow...I'm still going with the -12. :D

AIRFRAME CLASSIC KIT:
Quick-Build E-A/B Airframe Parts Kit: Spars & Sub-Assemblies Are Riveted
All Parts Are Pre-Fabricated And Pre-Drilled.
Includes Composite Gear, Wheels, Brakes, Control & Fuel Systems
$14,500.00
POWERPLANTS
Pegasus 0-100 60HP, Electric Start $6,950.00
ENGINE INSTALLATION OPTIONS
Firewall-Forward Engine Package: Pegasus 0-100
Includes: Engine Mount, Cowl, Throttle, Oil Tank, Exhaust, Propeller,
Spinner, Air Filter, Hardware And Fittings.
$3,400.00
AVIONICS OPTIONS
EFIS/EMS With GPS, Transceiver & Mode S Transponder
$6,500.00
Autopilot: 2-Axis Trutrack ECO
$1,500.00
AIRCRAFT OPTIONS
BRS Rocket Parachute
$4,500.00
Upholstery: Temperfoam Seat Cushions
$650.00
Night VFR Lighting Package: LED Strobe, Landing, Nav & Panel Lights
$1,250.00
One Color Painting
$2,500.00
AIRFRAME OPTION BUILDER'S ASSISTANCE PROGRAM:
Quick-Build Kit - FAA E-A/B Compliant Builders? Assistance Program
$7,500.00
CUSTOMER SPENDS 2 WEEKS IN OUR FLORIDA BUILD CENTER TO FINISH AIRCRAFT.
INCLUDES INSTALLATION OF BASIC PANEL & ENGINE & 1ST FLIGHT

Total $49,250.00

Back