What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sterba

ppowers

Whats everyone think of the sterba props? I'm building a 6 with a io320 that's suppose to be 180hp. and thinking of trying a sreba prop.

It's already there...

Whats everyone think of the sterba props? I'm building a 6 with a io320 that's suppose to be 180hp. and thinking of trying a sreba prop.

Most every RV subject has been breached over the last 15 years, here is a decent thread on the subject.. My RV4's Sterba prop provided decent 0-320 performance with a 69X69 (diameter/pitch) although my Catto outperformed it considerably and handles rain with aplomb....Buy a Sterba? Be sure to buy some spar varnish to go with it. Plan on checking your bolt torque frequently as well, especially in a wet climate.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=127443&highlight=sterba+prop
V/R
Smokey

Last edited:
I have a Wittman Tailwind, 0 320, with a Sterba 70 x 82 that was designed for a 180 HP RV4. I have 10-1 pistons, no other engine mods. The prop is way too much pitch for an 0 320. Takeoff and climb is very poor. The prop only turns 2500 r/m full throttle at low altitude. It does go fast. I am truing 185 knots full throttle at 4500', but it would be considerably faster with less pitch/more r/m.

My engine is an aeio320. It was built by DeMars aero and says it's 180 hp, but,, who knows what it will be in reality. Not real sure on prop pitch, it'll be a shot in the dark.

I'm with Smoky

Catto's props usually beat all the others for speed.

We flew our -6A for 5 year/500 hours and trued 201 MPH consistently, at 7500' and 2750 RPM.

Best,

I really don't remember. We simply told Craig to pitch it for max speed on our -6A and he nailed it. He did ask if we minded turning the engine at or a little above redline and we said yes.

Best,

catto might be faster, but the sterba is $650. So you are balancing price and performance. Some people won't want to pay $2-3k for an extra 5 kts, some people will.

Catto

Catto is constantly improving the props. The current racing configuration Catto MAY be as much as 7 knots faster than Catto's previous best and probably 15 knots plus faster than a Sterba.
The extra performance of the Catto will eventually pay for itself if you fly enough, especially if you are in the high terrain and routinely make long climbs to cruise altitude.
Also my current Sterba has some mild vibration that should not be there with a wood prop.

Hear Hear...

Catto is constantly improving the props. The current racing configuration Catto MAY be as much as 7 knots faster than Catto's previous best and probably 15 knots plus faster than a Sterba.
The extra performance of the Catto will eventually pay for itself if you fly enough, especially if you are in the high terrain and routinely make long climbs to cruise altitude.
Also my current Sterba has some mild vibration that should not be there with a wood prop.

Agreed, wholeheartedly. I built my RV4 in 95' with a Sterba and put 500 hours on it before bolting on first a Warnke, Catto #1 prototype, Hertzler, Catto 2 and 3.

Here are five reasons I wouldn't repeat the Sterba experience:
1. Bolt torque check every 25 hours or less, highly weather affected.
2. Leading edge erosion by inflight moisture. Required frequent refinishing.
3. Performance average compared with competitors.
4. Witnessed an inflight blade failure by a fellow RV4 driver "JJ", ensuing forced landing and removal/replacement.
5. Off airport utility. Easily damaged in the rough, turf gravel, what have you.

Catto props are worth every penny...
My 2 cents...
Smokey

Back