- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > RV Firewall Forward Section > Alternative Engines
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7charlie View Post
I'd say totally unknown. It's a unique build, with aluminum end housings (norm is iron) and a monster turbo. A lot of the build decisions seemed to mimic unlimited Reno racers. Having said that, the ones with iron end housings seem to survive well at similar power ratings in racing (totally different environment). Previous record in that subclass was hald by Elliott Seguin with an IO550, that you can bet had a *very* short life. The 13B displacement is 80 cu in. I think that total engine weight (with turbo) for the TTC engine is under 200 lbs.
I agree with Charlie. I would say that the engine is not a "single race", but would likely be "single season" if in a car. Well-funded guys would rebuild at the end of the season and the poor man would run it until it broke an apex seal. Like any engine in extreme race configuration you would not want to use it as your daily flyer, but the engine can tolerate 250hp all day long as long as it is kept cool.

For one-time drag race uses (or dyno testing to impress people), the car guys are getting just shy of 1000 hp out of this engine.
www.n4vy.rotaryroster.net
Old 05-02-2018, 01:25 AM

How many apex seals were sacrificed in this very impressive attempt?
Old 05-02-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhun View Post
Don't remember for certain, but I don't think they broke any. They broke a lot of other stuff; some 'interesting' choices & techniques bit them in the hindside along the way. Even had a water injection failure at one point, which would normally be instant death to old style apex seals under heavy boost, but no apex seal failures, that I remember. There are some incredibly tough seals on the market now.
Old 05-04-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv6ejguy View Post
Awesome. Was this FAI observed? Nice to see an auto engine powered RV derivative do this sort of time. Only 9 seconds behind the outright record held by Rare Bear.
Well, actually only a little over 8 seconds behind Lyle's retired record. Does anyone know what changes they made to the rules that caused them to retire that record? If it was measured from time of lift-off instead of dead start that would easily make up for the 8 seconds.

I would not be surprised if we are not done seeing records out of this plane. They should be able to get some great sponsors at this point. Too bad the lawyers are scaring away Mazda itself.
www.n4vy.rotaryroster.net
Old 05-04-2018, 06:06 PM

They retired Lyle's piston speed record too when Voodoo didn't quite beat it by the required amount. Something about retiring the C class if I recall.

I agree on the Wankel Rocket, there is more left in it. All they would have to do is repeat the same test on a winter day and they would take at least 10 seconds off what they already did.

The Bearcat was a bit of a sledgehammer to take the record. The lightweight Rocket just seems like a much less expensive way to approach such things.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 424.4 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi.htm

Old 05-11-2018, 01:02 PM

Default Another Airframe?

Since maximum climb rate is all they're looking for here, wouldn't it make sense to put the engine into an RV-9 and have a go at it with that bigger wing?

Doug Lomheim
RV-9A Mazda 13B FWF
Old 06-06-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhun View Post
Quentin, NONE. The ceramic apex seals available for many years for the rotary are ABSOLUTELY reliable. Mazda used these seals on the outright Le Mans 24 hour win in 1991! Apex seals really haven't been a problem since the late '70s, but misinformation is passed along as gospel by folks that really don't want the Wankel to succeed. Most races classes just end up banning them.
Bill J