VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-18-2018, 02:49 PM

Default RV-10 to Ireland

I built my -10 with the intention of flying it from the US to Ireland, where I grew up. I've prepared the plane as well as I can, long range fuel, dual batt/dual alternators, dual AHARS etc. With 150hrs on her and all the bugs worked out, it's now time to get down to the details of the trip. I'll be using the far northern route where HF radio is not required, CYFB - BGSF - BIKF - EGPC - EIDW. I'd like to avoid Wick if I can, but it's difficult to find info on airports of entry in Ireland. Do any Irish pilots know if I can arrange to fly directly into Donegal or Weston from Iceland and take care of customs there? I still hold an Irish passport.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:47 PM

Most of the information that you want will be in the Irish AIP.

You can register free with Eurocontrol, select 'enter applications', then 'PAMS light AIP'.
Search Ireland/AIP/GEN for general entry requirements and the AD section to find if customs are available at your preferred airport.

You can save money in Iceland by using Akureyri or Egillstadir as they don't require a handling agent. Isafjordur is also available with prior permission.

Weston and Donegal have customs available with 24 hours prior notice.

You'll also need liability insurance to EC/785 minimum and permission from each country to use an amateur built aircraft. That costs about $400 from Greenland and $150 from Iceland IIRC; not sure about Ireland.

You can rent dry suits and liferafts at Goose Bay either one way to Wick or drop off on your return.

It's a great trip to do. Make sure you take in some sight seeing!
Old 05-18-2018, 03:48 PM

I would like to follow your adventure. This is very interesting! Please take photos and give us a write up.
RV-8, Sold
Bearhawk 4-Place, Sold
=VAF= donor 2018
Old 05-19-2018, 08:58 AM

Thanks Mark, the Eurocontrol link is very useful. Any additional leads on securing the necessary permits and paperwork would be greatly appreciated. I was greatly inspired by the accounts of your own trip, especially Eastbound. I was still building at the time and decided to add the plumbing for an aux 40gal fuel tank as a result of your experience.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:53 AM

Gash,
I'll certainly try my best to memorialize the trip, it'll surely be a grand adventure! My goal all along has been to fly back to Ireland and land on the Aran Islands in the West of Ireland. This would have been the last glimpse of the Emerald Isle that many of my countrymen would ever have as they left for America during the Great Famine. I appreciate that it's only because of the struggles of those that have gone before that a fellow like me could come to the greatest country in the world and enjoy the freedom and opportunity that exist here like nowhere else on Earth.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:31 PM

Paddy,

Check this out for Iceland. They say no special permission required for homebuilts, but check Iceland AIP GEN 1.2.

The contact I have for Greenland permission id inda@trafikstyrelsen.dk. It cost 3170 DKK when I applied Eastbound (it was free for UK registered when I came Westbound). That exemption covers Greenland, Faeroe Islands and Denmark as they are all under the same authority.

I've flown the Aran Islands, including Inishmore to Inishmaan. At one time that was the world's shortest commercial sector. You could buy an airline ticket to fly 1.5 miles! A wonderful place to visit, but you need to watch the weather.