What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gtr 200 wiring

jump4way

Well Known Member
I asked this question to G3Xpert but while I?m waiting for an answer, I thought the collective group might well be able to answer this for me.

I?m installing the GTR 200 com without an audio panel. I?ve wired my mic jacks as described in the document stein provides with the jack using 3 conductor shielded wire. For my PTT Switches I have run one side of the switch to ground and the other side I have run up to the panel with 22g non shield3d wire. The Garmin install manual describes connecting the switch to the tip (orange/white in steins diagram) with a note of using a hand mic only.

It?s my intention to just use the boom mic on a headset so does this mean that I would only connect my 22 g non shielded wire for PTT to the radio leaving the orange/white tip wire unconnected?

Thanks for any information.

Yes. You should be good to go. Per Note 7 in Appendix D of the installation manual leave the tip connection at the jack out. It is optional and would be rare for anybody to use a hand mic.

I am getting ready to wire up a GTR 200 and plan to use my PTT standard of running a pair of unshielded 24 gauge wires to each position's switch. One conductor in each pair will go to the appropriate PTT pin on the GTR connector (35 for pilot, 15 for co-pilot) as you did. The second conductor will run back and be grounded at the GTR chasis or the common grounding block used for all avionics. If you grounded the PTT locally near the jack there shouldn't be a problem as this is just a signal line, not audio or data. That's why the manual's diagrams show unshielded wire.

Jim

I interpret the Garmin install manual the same as you.
Connect pilot PTT to GTR 200 pin 35.
Connect copilot PTT to GTR 200 pin 15.
Since you are not using a hand-held MIC, do not connect GTR 200 pins 35 and 15 to any headset jack.

Back