What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GTX 345 with GTN 650 ADS-B Performance Report Fail

jliltd

Well Known Member
We have a GTX 345 ADS-B out/in transponder and a GTN 650 navigator. We tried for our rebate yesterday but got an exception with respect to the NIC variable. Here are some pages from the performance report:

index.php

index.php

index.php

http://flyhusky.com/forum/index.php?media/performance-report-adsb_page_4.2106/full

I am not sure what that means but we had the INTGRTY setting on "Auto" which equates to a Garmin GPS source. I bring this up as we are considering setting INTGRTY to "IE-7", which is the default Garmin value.

Does anybody have any insight into this NIC failure?

Thanks,

Jim

I imagine setting it to IE7 which is for garmin certified sources would fix the problem. Below is a quote from AC 20-165 concerning the NIC parameter.

"A minimum NIC value of seven must be transmitted to operate in
airspace defined in 14 CFR ? 91.225"

I imagine setting it to IE7 which is for garmin certified sources would fix the problem. Below is a quote from AC 20-165 concerning the NIC parameter.

"A minimum NIC value of seven must be transmitted to operate in
airspace defined in 14 CFR § 91.225"

His average NIC is 8.9 :)

I could read the report as saying that you had a 13 second drop out when the NIC was being transmitted at less than 7.

This 13 second timing would be around the 0.61% error mentioned in the report. Perhaps your GTN650 had a 13 second drop out and wasn't giving data to the GTX?

However, setting the INTEGRITY to 1E7 via the front panel would probably be a good thing. :)

Last edited:
We have a GTX 345 ADS-B out/in transponder and a GTN 650 navigator. We tried for our rebate yesterday but got an exception with respect to the NIC variable. Here are some pages from the performance report:

index.php

index.php

index.php

http://flyhusky.com/forum/index.php?media/performance-report-adsb_page_4.2106/full

I am not sure what that means but we had the INTGRTY setting on "Auto" which equates to a Garmin GPS source. I bring this up as we are considering setting INTGRTY to "IE-7", which is the default Garmin value.

Does anybody have any insight into this NIC failure?

Thanks,

Jim

Hello Jim,

Were you maneuvering agressively on this flight?

We see a lot of reports, and it is unusual to see a NIC error like this, but that is a pretty clean report with less than 1% non-compliant output in only one parameter.

No harm in changing the Position Integrity to 1E-7, but I don't think that will change anything.

I would make another flight and request another report before being concerned.

If you continue to see issues like this, I would look at the GTN antenna installation.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Hello Jim,

Were you doing any maneuvering on this flight?

We see a lot of reports, and it is unusual to see a NIC error like this, but that is a pretty clean report with less than 1% non-compliant output in only one parameter.

No harm in changing the Position Integrity to 1E-7, but I don't think that will change anything.

I would make another flight and request another report before being concerned.

If you continue to see issues like this, I would look at the GTN antenna installation.

Thanks,
Steve

I hope he was maneuvering if he wants the $500 rebate...:D

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media...ts-seeking-ads-b-rebates-some-steps-clarified

Back