VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-07-2017, 07:27 PM

I started working on the right wheel pant today mainly to try to get it drilled to the mounting brackets. I had drilled it to the U-808 bracket yesterday. the rear inside bracket was about 1/4"back from the fiberglass so it was hard to see where to drill. Finally I decided to drill a hole in the fiberglass then into the bracket. WRONG move. The bracket bent back so much that when the drill bit got thru the bracket it was about 1/4" or more off when it sprung back without the very light drilling pressure I was using. I looked at it for a few minutes and decided to go ahead and make the left gear leg fairing and cut out the left wheel pant while trying to come up with something to drill the rear bracket. I trimmed the wheel pant to fit around the gear leg and tire then made some marks on the floor to align the pant with the center line. The left side measurement was slightly different than the right side. I guess I trimmed the tire openings a little different. From the center line to the front and back of the right side pant was 38.125" the left measurement was 38.25".

Now on to drilling the U-808, no problem. But this time I did take time to bend the bracket a little so that it sat flush with the inside of the fiberglass. Then I removed the rear pant and bent the rear bracket similarly so that it was flush with the inside fiberglass. Drilled a #30 hole in the fiberglass and just left a mark on the bracket. Removed the pant and finished drilling the bracket. Put it all back together and BINGO it was perfectly aligned and all of the holes lined up. Did the same technique for the front same result.

I knew I could fix the right side I'd just need two people to make it easier. Next onto the gear leg fairing, taped the template onto fiberglass and cut off both ends leaving the trailing edge long. Followed instructions except that I used a piece of alum. angle clamped to the trailing edge while drilling the hinge.

After I assembled the hinge and riveted it together I tried to remove the pin..... it was very hard to remove. What happened is that I put a little too much preload on it by placing the hinge just a little higher up than what was needed. If I had followed Vans instructions to the letter this would not have been a problem I was just trying to make sure the ends would pull up tight when assembled. They did, just too much. They are still useable just hard as **** to put on.

My brother stopped by and we drilled the right side wheel pant using my "bend the brackets a little" idea. Worked like a charm.

Tomorrow I'll mix up some flox and apply it where the fiberglass meets the brackets for a nice tight fit.

Last edited by J_Turner : 12-07-2017 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:40 PM

Great job showing the process ! Thanks..

C-150 Based at KMOD (CA)
Old 12-08-2017, 05:42 AM

Thumbs up Outstanding!

I just took the time to go through (most of) your photos, and I have to say, your work looks superb. Great job documenting everything as well; good inspiration for other builders. It's looking fantastic!
VAF #1497
RV-9A Kit #90217 Sold;
Scrounging RV-3 parts
RV-9 Tail Kit #91415 on Deck

\_____@(")@_____/

I love it when a plane comes together!
Old 12-08-2017, 08:06 PM

Default Here's your sign!

I got to the shop early today with the anticipation of making some real progress. That progress did not happen. I looked and studied everything over and decided to get the right gear leg fairing secured in place and get the intersection fairings drilled and attached. On the lower side the fairing didn't fit very well so I started messing with the upper side which fit quite well. I soon realized that I needed to have the entire cowl secured to the plane before making any holes. I placed the top half on and inserted the top and side hinges then went to put the bottom pins in..... Here's where stupidity enters the scene..... I had never made the steel pins for the bottom sides, just used the aluminum pins for cutout and checking the fit of the cowl. Well, now that the exhaust is on the plane insertion of these pins is quite a bit harder. So I looked at the cowl plans to see what I was supposed to use to make the pin. Found it and located the material. Now for the fun stuff... I also noticed this detail...

I remember while helping build my brothers RV-10 and we made a similar piece for it so I went looking for the pieces for my plane thinking surely I have to have one on my plane. About 2.5-3 hours into the search (I'm fuming mad at this point, ready to rip the head off of a cute teddy bear) my brother stopped by and I asked him to help me find these pieces. He said what do they look like? I grabbed my iPad to show them to him..... one tiny movement of the picture and the search was over. FREAKING TRI GEAR ONLY!!!!!!!
Soooooo, after a few curse words it was getting late and I decided to get something done so I mixed some epoxy and cabosil and taped the wheel pants brackets to act as a release agent and reassembled them with the thickened epoxy in place. Here's a few pics of the process.

Old Yesterday, 12:28 PM

Looking great!!!
Could you post some pics of how much you had to cutout of the inside of the wheel pants to fit over the gear leg/brake area. Just for my reference! thanks

C-150 Based at KMOD (CA)
Old Yesterday, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicoB View Post
Looking great!!!
Could you post some pics of how much you had to cutout of the inside of the wheel pants to fit over the gear leg/brake area. Just for my reference! thanks
It's roughly a 3" square. I wasn't really trying to get it "just right" because of the transition fairings I'm using.
Old Yesterday, 04:35 PM

More work on the fairings today. I popped off the pants from the brackets then got all of them drilled to final size, countersunk, installed the nut plates and fully assembled.

The upper transition fairing fit like a glove so I drilled it to #40 and clecoed it in place.

On the bottom I had to trim the top side of the fairing in place a little to match the lower side. Then I drilled and clecoed it in place.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get nut plates etc. installed and get the left side finished as well.

Last edited by J_Turner : Yesterday at 04:39 PM.
Old Today, 08:20 PM

Today I got the left gear leg and the upper and lower intersection fairings in place and drilled and cleckoed together. The lower intersection fairing took quite a bit of heat from a heat gun then I held it in place with a shop towel while it cooled. I trimmed the aft edge a few times and continued the heat gun process about 3-4 more times until it finally laid down where and how I wanted it.

The top piece was just held tightly in place and drilled. Very easy to install. Next I drilled to #36 and tapped the holes in the upper piece that go into the fuse. I lowered the plane off of the stand and put it back on all 3 tires.

I wanted to get the slider back on so it's not sitting on the floor. A while back when fitting the slider I just drilled the canopy pin blocks and put a cleoco in from the bottom to hold it. After seeing that today I went ahead and disassembled both blocks for final drilling and proper mounting hardware. After reassembly I realized that the holes in the blocks were slightly higher than they were before. I think that the head of the bolts mounting the bracket to the longeron may have gotten in the way and caused the nylon block to be slightly higher when final drilled or just by bending the sides of the block in by tightening the bolts. Either way, I'm thinking of just ordering two new nylon blocks and starting over. It's frustrating to have put all of the work in making my own slider skirt to have not be perfect.