I started working on the right wheel pant today mainly to try to get it drilled to the mounting brackets. I had drilled it to the U-808 bracket yesterday. the rear inside bracket was about 1/4"back from the fiberglass so it was hard to see where to drill. Finally I decided to drill a hole in the fiberglass then into the bracket. WRONG move. The bracket bent back so much that when the drill bit got thru the bracket it was about 1/4" or more off when it sprung back without the very light drilling pressure I was using. I looked at it for a few minutes and decided to go ahead and make the left gear leg fairing and cut out the left wheel pant while trying to come up with something to drill the rear bracket. I trimmed the wheel pant to fit around the gear leg and tire then made some marks on the floor to align the pant with the center line. The left side measurement was slightly different than the right side. I guess I trimmed the tire openings a little different. From the center line to the front and back of the right side pant was 38.125" the left measurement was 38.25".
Now on to drilling the U-808, no problem. But this time I did take time to bend the bracket a little so that it sat flush with the inside of the fiberglass. Then I removed the rear pant and bent the rear bracket similarly so that it was flush with the inside fiberglass. Drilled a #30 hole in the fiberglass and just left a mark on the bracket. Removed the pant and finished drilling the bracket. Put it all back together and BINGO it was perfectly aligned and all of the holes lined up. Did the same technique for the front same result.
I knew I could fix the right side I'd just need two people to make it easier. Next onto the gear leg fairing, taped the template onto fiberglass and cut off both ends leaving the trailing edge long. Followed instructions except that I used a piece of alum. angle clamped to the trailing edge while drilling the hinge.
After I assembled the hinge and riveted it together I tried to remove the pin..... it was very hard to remove. What happened is that I put a little too much preload on it by placing the hinge just a little higher up than what was needed. If I had followed Vans instructions to the letter this would not have been a problem I was just trying to make sure the ends would pull up tight when assembled. They did, just too much. They are still useable just hard as **** to put on.
My brother stopped by and we drilled the right side wheel pant using my "bend the brackets a little" idea. Worked like a charm.
Tomorrow I'll mix up some flox and apply it where the fiberglass meets the brackets for a nice tight fit.