What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

APRS Equipment

JPalese

Well Known Member
If you were doing a new APRS install in an RV-7 today:

1) what APRS equipment would you pick?

2) where would you install t?

3) how would you power it - ships power or batteries?

John
DE WB9JPH

I used the tinytrack, along with Pete Howell's j-pole antenna, put it in the R wingtip (have an archer antenna in the L) and power it with the same wire that runs my position lights. Whenever the position lights are on, the APRS is on also. Draws almost no power. I can take the wingtip off if necessary to change settings on the APRS.

You can check some of my tracks on
http://www.mail2600.com/cgi-bin/alltracks.cgi?call=N7965A&days=360
particularly the ones from more remote areas last summer and can see that it works pretty well.

Greg

Same here...but I mounted the transmitter behind the landing light for easier access.

Last edited:
My entire unit is installed in the wing tip and it works well. I run mine off the position lights but would prefer it's own power feed.

The only problem for me is that I tend to want to tinker with the settings. Currently this means pulling the wingtip. I am contemplating options.

My entire unit is installed in the wing tip and it works well. I run mine off the position lights but would prefer it's own power feed.

The only problem for me is that I tend to want to tinker with the settings. Currently this means pulling the wingtip. I am contemplating options.

Glen, put a 1/8" mini-jack in the aileron end recess of the wingtip and wire it into the serial lead so you can access the tracker for reconfig without removing the wingtip. Been done before and works great. :)

Last edited:
Glen, put a 1/8" miniplug in the aileron end recess of the wingtip and wire it into the serial lead so you can access the tracker for reconfig without removing the wingtip. Been done before and works great. :)

Ooh! good idea! Would save pulling the tip.

Greg

Ooh! good idea! Would save pulling the tip.

Greg

Be sure you wire the connector so the GPS is disconnected when you plug in your computer. We discussed this several years ago and there is a wiring diagram somewhere in the APRS forum archive. Kahuna wired his tracker with the mini-jack.

I typed mini-plug in the earlier post, should be mini-jack (now corrected).

Myself and a friend designed an APRS antenna that fits in a fiberglass gearleg fairing. It is coupled to the gear with a coil shunt to ground which cancels the capacitive reactance of the steel gear leg. There is a null node directly to the rear with the metal gear blocking the antenna otherwise it works very well. A couple of friends have been flying with this setup and it works fine.

Be sure you wire the connector so the GPS is disconnected when you plug in your computer. We discussed this several years ago and there is a wiring diagram somewhere in the APRS forum archive. Kahuna wired his tracker with the mini-jack.

I typed mini-plug in the earlier post, should be mini-jack (now corrected).

Here is my post from 2008 with the wiring diagram and info about the mini-jack:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=246431&postcount=48

It is on page 5 of this thread:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?p=246241&highlight=1/8"#post246241

Thanks, Sam! I already did something like this with my Dynon to allow for easy download of the data through a mini-plug, so this should be pretty easy once the weather gets warm enough to work in my hangar.

Greg

Myself and a friend designed an APRS antenna that fits in a fiberglass gearleg fairing. It is coupled to the gear with a coil shunt to ground which cancels the capacitive reactance of the steel gear leg. There is a null node directly to the rear with the metal gear blocking the antenna otherwise it works very well. A couple of friends have been flying with this setup and it works fine.

I always wanted to do something like that, but i thought that tuning it would be a nightmare. How much does the SWR change between airborne and on the ground?

BTW - for those wanting the APRS unit in the fuselage but the antenna elsewhere, check with "Powell Family Antennas". For a nominal additional charge, they build one of their great antennas with a 5m (meter) coax feed. This could be used to have the antenna in the wing and the tracker in the cockpit.

That is a good thread even though a bit dated. The tracker best suited to our use now is the Micro-Trak RTG (RTG=ready to go). It comes packaged in a rugged box and already programmed with your call sign and N-number.

http://www.byonics.com/mt-rtg

mt-rtg-3.200.jpg

Get the package, add an antenna and license and you are ready to drop BB's.

Back