What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DecalPro Question

Zazoos

Well Known Member
So I plan on painting my panel with base coat and then clear coat and using decalpro to label.

Are you applying the decalpro to the base coat and then clear coating?

Or are you applying the decalpro to the clear coat after scuffing it with 1000 grit, and then applying new layers of clear coat over the decalpro?

Seems like the 2nd option would be optimal.

Thank you,

I used single stage paint on my panel but would recommend putting it over your clear coat.

That way, there is less chance of messing up your paint, if you have to remove a decal.

Good luck!

(Read my tips on using the DecalPro on my website.)

Decal-Pro

So I plan on painting my panel with base coat and then clear coat and using decalpro to label.

Are you applying the decalpro to the base coat and then clear coating?

Or are you applying the decalpro to the clear coat after scuffing it with 1000 grit, and then applying new layers of clear coat over the decalpro?

Seems like the 2nd option would be optimal.

Thank you,

I clear-coated over the Decal-pro labels to protect them. Depending on the clearcoat, I recommend a couple of light mist coats that are allowed to cure over the labels before applying a full wet coat because solvent based paints can lift the labels if applied too heavily.

Skylor

clear coat over them

I put clear coat over the top because they are fairly fragile and easily rubbed off otherwise.

+1 for the flat clear coat over the decals.
I had to add an oil cooler shutter cable and that decal didn't get the clear coat treatment and it has started to wear off.

My next panel will be laser engraved. :D (my wife has one for her engineering students to use).

As an alternative to decal pro, consider dry transfer (aka rub on) decals. With this type you are only tranfering the lettering (no backing) and can do large decals like the grouping lines for breakers. The big advantage is that you can do large areas with one application. For example, all of my beakers with text and lines was done with a single application, so everything lines up perfectly. Back when I did my panel, an 11x14 sheet cost me $114. That was enough for the whole panel with spares.

www.drytransfer.com

Back