What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sliding Canopy Lock

Ron RV8

Well Known Member
Shortly after completing our -8, I fabricated this canopy lock from bar stock. It has served me well for 3 years.

Last fall another -8 owner noticed my lock and asked if my machinist friend might turn him a "screw" so he could build one. My friend, Joe D'Albertanson said "sure, but why don't I machine him the whole thing". The picture below shows the result...

Joe took my design and refined it, making it smaller overall but higher for better ventilation, rotating the slot by 90 degrees, and anodizing it for corrosion protection. He also managed to reduce the weight from 5.4 oz to 3.1 oz. Talk about thinking outside the box...

This is my set-up in the closed position with a simple combination padlock... Should work with any RV slider...

Ventilation position

Joe made up a few so if you want one you can contact him directly at 250 768 3384 or by e-mail at [email protected]. He's asking $120 CAD (currently about $95 USD). I do not have an iron in the fire...

Last edited:
Necessary?

Years ago I purchased a similar lock and never used it. A friend of mine suggested that it is a lot cheaper to replace the radios than the canopy. Just makes you think. I set up a system for our new 14A but I just use the canopy cover and hope for the best.

Years ago I purchased a similar lock and never used it. A friend of mine suggested that it is a lot cheaper to replace the radios than the canopy. Just makes you think. I set up a system for our new 14A but I just use the canopy cover and hope for the best.

I think I'm of the same opinion there - my insurance has zero deductible and will replace the radios quickly and easily - but replacing the canopy is going to take a lot of hours of labor resulting in a lengthy downtime.

I look at it as encouragement for a thief to move on to the next airplane. A determined thief could probably pry it off more quietly than breaking the canopy but that's a risk we take...

At a fly-in or other gathering, particularly if the public is invited, it also allows me to leave the canopy open a bit for ventilation, and be reasonably comfortable that my iPad and headsets will be there when I return to the plane.

No drilling?

It looks like great workmanship. So, there is not any drilling involved? It just screws into place and the vertical piece prevents the lock/screw from turning?

Thanks.
John
RV-8

There are two 1/8" (or #30) holes required, one for the closed position, and one for the "ventilation" position if desired. With a padlock in place, the vertical piece keeps the screw from turning enough to matter. The screw turns easily with the fingers, but a "coin slot" is provided at the top just in case it's a bit stiff (ice or ?).

The screw is pointed on the bottom. The instructions suggest that once you decide on exact location at each position, to tighten the screw enough to leave a small dimple. While tightened, you can tap the screw with a hammer, or remove the lock and centre punch the dimple, then drill 3/32 (or #40), then up-drill to final size. It is suggested that once the drilling is complete, to grind off most of the point on the screw, leaving a small chamfer to help guide the locking pin into the hole... There is a caution not to drill too far, like not through the top skin of the fuselage...~{:^(...

It is suggested to leave a small gap in the closed position to allow for differential expansion of the steel frame vs the aluminum fuselage...

The choice of a padlock is left to the user and is not included...

Further information on lock

Joe has had a few requests for further information on the locks so here is his response...

"The location of the pin is .500" (1/2") back from the front edge and .136" (about 9/64") to the right of centre. The front face of the lock slider is 1.560" (1-9/16") tall from the top of the rail.

I hope this info is what you need to know. Let me know if there is anything else.

Thanks
Joe D'Albertanson"

Joe says that he has just finished another batch of locks for anyone interested.

Please contact him directly at 250 768 3384 or [email protected]. Note the email has changed...

He is asking $100USD delivered CONUS or $120CAD delivered Canada...

Shortly after completing our -8, I fabricated this canopy lock from bar stock. It has served me well for 3 years.

Last fall another -8 owner noticed my lock and asked if my machinist friend might turn him a "screw" so he could build one. My friend, Joe D'Albertanson said "sure, but why don't I machine him the whole thing". The picture below shows the result...

Joe took my design and refined it, making it smaller overall but higher for better ventilation, rotating the slot by 90 degrees, and anodizing it for corrosion protection. He also managed to reduce the weight from 5.4 oz to 3.1 oz. Talk about thinking outside the box...

This is my set-up in the closed position with a simple combination padlock... Should work with any RV slider...

Ventilation position

Joe made up a few so if you want one you can contact him directly at 250 768 3384 or by e-mail at [email protected]. He's asking $120 CAD (currently about $95 USD). I do not have an iron in the fire...
I just ordered a canopy lock from Joe. He has changed his email. His new email is [email protected]. His phone number has not changed. Current cost is $100 USD.

I ordered one of Joe?s locks. It was very well-made and easy to install. I had to add a 3-D printed block to the face to move the pin back far enough to miss a screw in the slider, but it turned out great.

I ordered a lock from Joe. What a terrific experience! He sent it before receiving my check and wanted nothing more than for me to be 100% satisfied. He kept in contact until I had it installed properly.... what a gentleman. He's a throw back in time - an honorable man who's word was his bond.

Joe's lock is superbly made - beautiful craftsmanship. Works as described. I'm happy.

His contact info is still the same [email protected] (250) 768-3384. The lock is $100USD and the cost of shipping. IMHO more than a fair price.

IMG_5093 copy.jpg

Back