What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which 1090ES ADSB out solution

whifof100ll

Well Known Member
OK I’ve decided on going with 1090ES ADSB out by replacing my GTX320. I currently have an single AFS3500 non S version in my RV-6. I use it for mild IFR with an SL-30. I use a 496 for GPS and XM WX. Love the 496 and feel no reason to change it.

I plan to hang an iPad on the panel and use ForeFlight for traffic and WX, and would like a backup AHRS for emergency.

Maybe someday I’ll switch my AFS3500 to a newer version and get traffic and weather on it, but not really interested in doing that now as it has been great, and as I only have one EFIS screen, I like having flight instruments on one screen and moving map on another.

Garmin states on their website that the 345 communicates wirelessly with ForeFlight, but I’ve heard from other pilots that it does not. Ashame, because if that is the case, I’ll split in and out solutions and go with either a 335 or Stratus ESG and then use a more open platform for ADSB in. Lot’s of good choices for ADSB in and lots of good debate on that on other threads.

The 335 is an OK price but it really irks me install a GPS & antenna and only use a GPS the way Garmin wants me to use it.

For that reason, and only that reason, I may go Stratus. For Stratus owners, any regrets?

Last edited:
I put a stratus esg in my 6a. Easy to install and worked great. Shop around. It can be had for much less than list price if you do. Only drawback compared to some other options is that as far as I know you have to use a separate ?in? device to get traffic and weather on your iPad. If you?ve already got a portable device for that, then you?re fine. I used a diy unit similar to the ?Merlin.? If the Garmin has in and out capability and can talk to the iPad, it may be worth the extra cost to not have to run that second device.

Good 345 experience

Many options surely exist. Just chiming in to say I?ve got a GTX 345 talking perfectly fine with my iPad for traffic and wx. Also have the AF 3500 non-s, though no ADS-B connection to that.

Wonder if you?ll still want (to pay for) XM after you have ADS-B on board. I swapped out a 496 for the newer Garmin portable unit (Aera 660) and love it even more.

The Aera 660 makes for a much improved display, easier/quicker user interface, quickly synchs flight plans between the Aera & iPad, plus gives an aviation-built AHRS display. Great knowing this is available should the iPad hiccup, especially while IMC. Was a minimal cost after selling my 496 in a matter of hours here, and made the panel feel 10 years younger. :)

Many options surely exist. Just chiming in to say I’ve got a GTX 345 talking perfectly fine with my iPad for traffic and wx. Also have the AF 3500 non-s, though no ADS-B connection to that.

Wonder if you’ll still want (to pay for) XM after you have ADS-B on board. I swapped out a 496 for the newer Garmin portable unit (Aera 660) and love it even more.

The Aera 660 makes for a much improved display, easier/quicker user interface, quickly synchs flight plans between the Aera & iPad, plus gives an aviation-built AHRS display. Great knowing this is available should the iPad hiccup, especially while IMC. Was a minimal cost after selling my 496 in a matter of hours here, and made the panel feel 10 years younger. :)

Thanks. I’ll get rid of the XM security blanket if/when I see the ADSB in is as timely and reliable.

I have a few questions for you as if I go Garmin, would probably go a similar route to what you had done.

1.) My 496 currently supplies GPS info to the AFS3500. Is your 660 providing that? I don’t think the 345 will provide GPS info to the 3500, but tell me if I’m wrong.

2.) Does your 660 have a separate GPS antenna or how does it get it’s GPS info?

3.) Does the 345 provide data to ForeFlight on an iPad, or is it a Garmin app?

4.) How is the 660 mounted. I currently use the air gizmo for the 496. Would the 660 fit into the panel hole I cut for the airgizmo? Still might ultimately go this route with the stratus.

5.). I suppose you are using the 660 for traffic? I wonder if the 660 would show traffic from the Stratus?

Last edited:
FWIW a friend of mine installed a Stratus ESG for his 2020 compliant OUT. He uses a $200 STRATUX for his IN solution running the free FltPlanGo app. They work great and has the added feature that anybody who flys with him can bring their own tablet and both get all the information. There are many solutions so listen to all the PIREPS then go with what is best for you.

:cool:

As noted, lots of options.
A Trig TT-22 mode S-ES transponder is remote mounted, with a small panel mounted control box, if space is an issue. About $2K (internet price). I have a GRT Hx EFIS which controls it, saving even more panel space. It can use any of the Garmin 400W/500W/650/750 boxes for a gps source, or GRT?s $500 gps; I?m sure there are others.
For ADSB-in I have a Skyradar D2, remote mounted. USB to the Hx, wireless to the iPad with WingX. I bought mine factory refurbished for $500 iirc.

As noted, lots of options.
A Trig TT-22 mode S-ES transponder is remote mounted, with a small panel mounted control box, if space is an issue. About $2K (internet price). I have a GRT Hx EFIS which controls it, saving even more panel space. It can use any of the Garmin 400W/500W/650/750 boxes for a gps source, or GRT?s $500 gps;

We are planning a very similar setup in the new plane, after much looking and questions asked, the Trig seems to be the best fit to our needs.

GRT HX screens to be used for XPNDR control is a big plus for the smaller panel in the Rans.

I did mine a piece at a time. First I aquired a Garmin 795 years ago. Then I purchased a Garmin GDL 39 when they became available. 2 months ago I selected the Uavionx tail beacon. All is well and I am now 2020 compliant on my RV7A

Follow-up answers ? FWIW

I have a few questions for you as if I go Garmin, would probably go a similar route to what you had done.

1.) My 496 currently supplies GPS info to the AFS3500. Is your 660 providing that? I don?t think the 345 will provide GPS info to the 3500, but tell me if I?m wrong.
-> I?ve got a 430W feeding GPS data to the GTX 345 and AF 3500, so I?m not sure on this one. If you went with a 660 in place of the 496, I?d like to think it could wire out the correct format to the AF-3500, but that?d be worth checking. (Sounds like you?ll have to also buy the GPS add-on for the GTX 345, not seeing mention of already having an approved GPS position $ource for it.)

2.) Does your 660 have a separate GPS antenna or how does it get it?s GPS info?
-> Not using a separate or remote 660 antenna. Just the 660 unit itself installed at the top of the stack has worked well for me.

3.) Does the 345 provide data to ForeFlight on an iPad, or is it a Garmin app?
-> Correct; wx, traffic and AHRS (plus GPS, I believe) data goes to ForeFlight wirelessly.

4.) How is the 660 mounted. I currently use the air gizmo for the 496. Would the 660 fit into the panel hole I cut for the airgizmo? Still might ultimately go this route with the stratus.
-> Removed the 496 AirGizmo and installed the 660 dock in the same space. AirGizmos site says they designed it this way, and it worked as advertised.

We also wire connected the 660 to the 345. Bluetooth is an option as well for that connection, but this was easy with the Garmin aviation cradle bare wires. And it kept the 660 available for connecting wirelessly to two iPads that way, instead of just one plus the constant 345 connection. A max of two total BT connections are allowed, IIRC.

5.). I suppose you are using the 660 for traffic? I wonder if the 660 would show traffic from the Stratus?
-> You bet for the 660 displaying traffic, plus more. In congested/terminal airspace, I tend to put the 660 on the traffic-only display. Love having this picture easily seen at the top of the stack when it?s likely to matter most. [I don?t have any experience with the panel installed Stratus units in terms of talking with the 660, though.]

+1 for Stark. I just bought a Stratus ESG from him; price was right and he was very responsive.

One potentially annoying detail about the Stratus is that its rack width is just a bit larger than the other radios in my stack (by a few hundredths of an inch compared to the Garmin unit it replaced). I had cleverly mounted my radios to fit as tightly as possible in the panel, which meant I had to do some filing to do in order make the Stratus fit. Not an issue for a new installation however, or if you allowed more clearance in the original installation.

Back