What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Interior panels

Doyle231

Hey all,

I'm in the process of working out how I'll make some interior panels. I'm leaning toward some thin 2024 with foam glued on and then get a auto trimmer to cover them. Any help would be great. Can't really find any kits plus all our planes a little different. Any pics or pointers would be great.

James
Australia

What I did

Hello James,
I built interior panels for my -4 from .016 and .020 aluminum that cover all the cables, wiring and flap mechanisms, as well as incorporating arm rests. There are 4 panels that cover everything. I didn't use any foam or fabric covering to keep weight at a minimum. They are simply painted grey like the rest of the interior. Total weight is less than 5 lbs. including hardware. I would be glad to send you some pictures if you send me a PM with an email address.. I have gotten many compliments on the simplicity and function of the panels and they were not terribly hard to build.

Hey all,

I'm in the process of working out how I'll make some interior panels. I'm leaning toward some thin 2024 with foam glued on and then get a auto trimmer to cover them. Any help would be great. Can't really find any kits plus all our planes a little different. Any pics or pointers would be great.

James
Australia

How about just gluing (spray contact cement) low nap carpet to the sidewalls....

2a7ao7l.jpg

5x08q8.jpg

How about just gluing (spray contact cement) low nap carpet to the sidewalls....

2a7ao7l.jpg

5x08q8.jpg

If you're going to use carpet, PLEASE make sure you use the right carpet. Some carpets burn faster and smoke more than others, which could ruin your day...

Here's an old thread (no pun intended...but I'll take it!) on the subject: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=5821

Kyle is still very active on the forums...perhaps he'll chime in with some newer recommendations?

If you're going to use carpet, PLEASE make sure you use the right carpet. Some carpets burn faster and smoke more than others, which could ruin your day...

Here's an old thread (no pun intended...but I'll take it!) on the subject: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=5821

Kyle is still very active on the forums...perhaps he'll chime in with some newer recommendations?

I'm sure someone with more experience will speak up but I would caution glueing to aluminum as it might cause corrosion in time. I saw it in a Luscombe resto where the interior of the doors were badly corroded under the glue. It might only be a matter of using the correct glue.

Back