What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

(Attached) Pics & Video - Ice Runway in New Hampshire!

phillipny

Well Known Member
Ice Runway Landing - Alton Bay, New Hampshire (B18 - seaplane base in summer season)

We flew out to Alton Bay, New Hampshire to land on the only FAA approved Ice Runway, in the lower 48 states! A nice day for flying and good conditions on the frozen lake (3000' x 100').

A good amount of planes were flying there for the experience, but it was not for everyone. The plane that landed in front of me swerved once he touched down, did a go-around and on the radio announced it was his first time and he's going home, did not feel comfortable. Another plane had a nose gear incident yesterday and a google image search may deter others, from previous years' issues.

For 8296W, It was our first ice landing as well, but nothing out of the ordinary to report. Similar to our landings at BurningMan or a soft/short field in the woods, which also include 'off-airport' risks. But once the water freezes thick enough on Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire, the FAA approves it as the only ice runway in the lower 48 states! Landing tips: a low and slow approach, no brakes on landing and keep the nose up.

It was a great experience and I look forward to doing it next year again.

More Pictures and video soon in the Link below
http://switchboxcontrol.com/news/

Phillip

Screen%20Shot%202015-03-01%20at%2012.47.08%20PMAlton20150228PhillipAngert.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202015-03-01%20at%2012.47.35%20PMAlton20150228PhillipAngert.jpg

IMG_6680Alton20150228PhillipAngert.jpg

IMG_0593.jpg

IMG_6651Alton20150228PhillipAngert.jpg

RVs?

I know some local guys who landed for an event on an ice RWY in ME this year with RV aircraft. Any other tail dragger pilots try this, and how did it work out?

Bill, I have been there a few times.

Piece of cake!

See you at the meat and greet in a couple of weeks and I can tell you more!

:D CJ

Back