What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Buying an engine

dweyant

Well Known Member
It looks like I might have stumbled into a good deal on an engine.

I found a O-320 with 1300 hours on it. The upside is the price is very good, the downside is it hasn't been run since 2001.

Is this potentially a good/reasonable deal? I'm being told I would be looking at $18,000 or less for a complete rebuild.

Thanks,

-Dan

It matters a lot if you go down the IRAN path, not so much if you choose a complete overhaul/reman.

Someone here had a new O-320 for about $18k not long ago. You can find new ones, usually several years old, from time to time for about that.

Dave

Depends on price

It's a crapshoot.

If it turns out to be a good engine and you run it another 1,000 hours it is a good deal. If it has a corroded cam and you split the case and the crank ends up being junk, it?s probably not going to turn out well. In my opinion selling price determines whether it is worth the risk.

If you plan on splitting the case, see if the seller would guarantee the crank and case.

To be clear, I am not suggesting a used engine isn't the way to go. I am also going this route but there is some risk.

Used engine.

I bought a used engine that had not been run
For a while. My intent was to rebuild and have done so

I found some corrosion. I few hydrolick lifters
where pitted. The exhaust valves sitting in the
Guides had pitted and where replaced. The shaft
Had some pitting on one of the mains and needed to be
Ground 3k.

Although this occurred it was all rectified and delt
with in an official lycoming spec overhaul. I now have a
Nice 0 time overhauled engine for a fraction
Of cost of new.

If you can take off a cylinder, you can remove the exhaust
Valve to inspect. Take a decent look at the cam.
You can take the lifters out without removing the cylinder.

You may have some corrosion and maybe not.
It's a low time engine so chances are not much wear on the
Parts. An AP should be able to help. Any prop strike?
You can check the run out on he flange with a proper gauge.

I am happy to chat with you about this process if you like.

Al

Rebuilding an old engine

I bought a used O320E3D that had had a prop strike and had been signed off on the old SB but not the new one. It had been sitting up for 12 years and was not well preserved. I got it for $2K with a rebate of $1K if the the crank failed. Long story short, the crank and case were good but the cam, lifters, valves and all four cylinders were corroded and or cracked. I decided to go the full certified rebuild route and wound up with a certified 0 SMOH engine for $11K. Could have been cheaper but I choose to keep it certified and that runs up the parts replacement as per the Lycoming mandator replacement parts list for a reman. Did a lot of the work myself and paid a local AI to oversee the work and sign off the overhaul. Bottom line an old engine that has been setting up is a bit of a roll of the dice but the payback is good if you are lucky.

Last edited:
what is the engine designation?

An H2AD will have a much different value (perceived or not) than an E3D.

I can guess as well as anyone and be off by at least twice as much. If the price is really good, then one way to view you risk is to compare what the core value of a case, cylinders and crank are versus what you pay for the engine. If I didn't feel like I was getting way out on a limb, then I'd probably get the engine, do little, if anything, to it, and plan on flying it just the way it is - at least through phase I.

With that engine time and idle period, it very well could have (personally, I'd plan on) some cylinder issues and the cam lobes and lifter faces are probably corroded and will eventually have to be replaced. But, it's not going to fall out of the sky.

When the time is right, you could pull the engine and disassemble it - doing an IRAN will probably run $6 - $12,000 depending on the parts you have to replace. That said, you'll have a very nice engine at that point. Get it broken in well, and it'll be bulletproof. With really clever planning, that might turn out to be when the airplane is being painted.

Dan

Thanks for the feedback, this is turning out to be a tougher decision than I thought.

They are asking $3500 for the engine as is. $18,000 (or less) total for the engine and the rebuild.

-Dan

Accessories?

What accessories are included, what is the total time? If you can get a guarantee on the crank and case to yellow tag then you should be ok, especially if you get mags, carb or servo etc. Be sure to get a quote on a "engine in the box" kit from ECI or Superior. J&J advertises here and I have had good luck with them.
Just a thumbnail sketch on prices for you:
Steel parts, rework, ND testing etc figure $1k
Case rework $1k
Cylinders $1k ea
Bearings & gaskets $1k

It's a lot like your daughters wedding, everything costs $1k, wedding dress, flowers, photographer, you name it, it costs $1k or more.
Good luck
Tim

Updated Certified Engine List document

Just for clarity - do you have the whole engine model? Ie., the suffix to O-320? Could make a big difference (see http://www.lycoming.textron.com/support/troubleshooting/resources/SSP204.pdf).

Dan

Dan,
I'd like to second your earlier recommendation on running the engine "as is" for a while, providing no internal corrosion is found during the pre-buy inspection. FYI, SSP 204, mentioned above, [circa 2004] is obsolete. It has been replaced by SSP 108, available below.

http://www.lycoming.com/support/troubleshooting/resources/SSP108.pdf

Charlie

Thanks for the feedback, this is turning out to be a tougher decision than I thought.

They are asking $3500 for the engine as is. $18,000 (or less) total for the engine and the rebuild.

-Dan

Dan,
Welcome to the world of Lycoming 4 cylinder engines. These engines, like the VW Beetle [the real Beetle] fit the expression, "They are all the same, no two alike". :eek:
Many are similar, but each model suffix differs in some way, to fit the requirements of the airframe it was designed to be installed in.
As Dan asked earlier, please provide the complete model number for us. Does this engine come complete with carburetor, mechanical fuel pump, magnetos? Are any other accessories included, like alternator, starter or vacuum pump? Those last three are not important, due to excessive weight/obsolescence, unless the starter is a Skytec. Still, if they are included, you might be able to recoup some cash by selling unwanted accessories to someone with a certified aircraft.
Charlie

I bought a higher time engine with the hopes of running it as is. It had been sitting for some time as well. I had my A&P pull a jug and take a look. The cam was starting to pit a little. I ended up having the cylinders and cam overhauled, put in new lifters, and reassembled with new bearings. Kind of a poor mans overhaul. $11k all said and done.

Back