What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall doubler

Lemmingman

Well Known Member
Weeks ago I accidentally found a post in a thread that suggested that when assembling the firewall you should order a certain part to mount on the firewall that you wont normally get until you get either the finishing kit or the FW forward kit. Two respondants agreed that mounting this plate now makes your life a great deal easier when you get to that stage.

Does anyone know off the top of your head what part I am speaking of? I thought I bookmarked it, but alas I didn't.

Gascolator Doubler

(if carb) the gascolator doubler (VA-161 i believe) comes in the firewall forward kit but you'll want to install it with the fuse, before installing the firewall recess. I just installed it yesterday:D

In fact, there is a small handful of items in the firewall forward kit you might prefer to install before closing up the recess or forward fuse. I ordered the firewall forward kit after the fuse, but before the finish kit.

There are a few doublers that come with the fuse get too, (fuel pump, brake lines) this would be the time to install gascolator.

F.I. version differs.

Get the firewall forward doc's from Van's. They come as a set and cost $20. These would have been real handy to have when starting on the fuselage.
Also, now is the best time to commit to your engine choice. Carb or FI have different fuel line routings.

Fuel Injection

I believe most of the FI vendors/mfgrs recommend NOT using a gascolator. I ordered the VA-161 doubler early and installed it as recommended, only to see it sit naked and all by itself in my injected A/C. Alas, no gascolator. :eek:

Put in the fire or sound insulation before you get too far. You can size it and get ready for installation and then do it finally later. There is a dialog on fire insulation is you do a search

I believe the part I was thinking about is VA-161, the gascolator doubler plate.
I'll be fuel injected, so I'll have to mull the pros / cons of a gascolator with fuel injection.

Thanks for the replies.

I installed the doubler with the fwf kit just before the engine hang. So long as the engine mount is off and the recess/plate is off you are good.

I believe the part I was thinking about is VA-161, the gascolator doubler plate.
I'll be fuel injected, so I'll have to mull the pros / cons of a gascolator with fuel injection.

Thanks for the replies.

That's easy, email vans support and ask for a parts list for the fuel injected (IO-320) firewall forward kit. Check to see if it comes with a VA-161 and gascolator (gas-5, I think).

Check with AFP and Precision Airmotive ...

...and I think you'll find they both recommend NOT using a gascolator. I know a builder who installed one with his Bendix FI, and after a year removed it.

Canadian regs require a gascolator even with FI, so I installed one. It never catches any debris since it is downstream of my AFP pump and filter. I never seem to get any water showing up, but in any case I sump the tanks every flight. I have it shrouded with a supply of cooling air off the baffles and as far as I can tell it hasn't caused any vaporisation issues.
So my Andair gascolator is just an expensive ornament and a possible factor in fuel problems in hot conditions.

Back