What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine mount firewall nuts?

wadem

Hi guys
Was noticing today for the first time that my engine mount is attached to the firewall with the heads of the bolts exposed or facing forward. This of course would place the nut and cotter pin on the backside or inside the cockpit. Every other plane I have owned has had the nut and pin facing forward, I think.
I checked out another Experimental plane at the field and it was rigged in the same manner as mine. Just to clarify my mount is a dynafocal with an O-320.
I only have the preview plans for the aircraft and I cannot tell from them what the proper orientation should be.
Is this ok?, and if not what is the concern for having the nuts facing aft?

Wade

Check again. The bolts should be inserted from the cabin side so the nut/cotter pin are facing forward....just like you said.

I deliberately put the nuts on the aft side of mine. Makes working FWF a bit safer, with no sharp cotter pins to snag oneself on. 43.13 says something like, if all else equal, to put the heads of bolts forward. It makes re-torquing them a bit more work, but no big deal.

Typically the nuts are located on the firewall side for ease of inspection, but it's certainly not a requirement.

I occasionally find these bolts "under torqued", it will be much more difficult to re-torque and cotter pin with the nuts aft. To prevent snagging put a "dolup" of RTV on the cotter pin.

Last edited:
Great, thanks everyone......couple AM's i spoke with yesterday said the same thing.....industry standard is nuts forward but no real requirement and no jeopardy either way!

Cheers

Wade

Back