What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

engine choice

jacksel

Well Known Member
I'm going to have to decide what engine to put into my RV-7 fairly soon. My RV-6 has an O-360 with unison ignition and, to be honest, I've been very pleased. I do however, want to make the best choice for today. To be perfectly honest, one attraction of injection is having a sleeker cowling (no carb scoop). But I'm also concerned about the future of leaded gas. The old Marvel-schebler carb just seems like a good, sturdy, reliable piece of 1930's technology which will be there no matter what the future brings. I fly my airplane IFR a lot, so, I don't really want it to be too "experimental". I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts.

No one seems to like this topic much. :D I asked the same thing a earlier in the week and got nothing. So I did some HEAVY research, got a bunch of quotes & talked to several vendors / builders etc. If I had to make a decision on a brand new engine today, I'd go with a Superior IO 360 B1AC2 with a cold air sump, standard compression (for fuel flexability) & dual pmags. I'd definately have it built by Barrett!!! The only drawback of having it built by Barrett is that they don't offer p-mags but they will give you a credit for the ingition system. All in all it should be the same exact price as a factory lycoming X (io360m1b) through Van's. Just one man's opinion :eek:

Seems loke from what i have read the injected motors seem to be easier to set up for mogas? I could be totally wrong. Lots of info out there from Frankh and Rocketbob. I have an o-320 in stock config that i plan on running mogas with. If cost were not a factor id go injected for a few reasons.

We fly about 220 hours a year on our RV10, majority IFR, and we do not mind IMC at all. It is a serious IFR machine.

I have strong opinions here, so be warned.

Buy an IO360, standard compression, standard mags.

Whether you buy a certified Lycoming, the slightly less expensive XIO360 from Vans, or have a Barret built engine is up to you. I would happily fly behind any of them. There are others of course, but stick to standard injection and mags etc.

Stick with the Hartzel BA also.

As for the concern about AVGAS http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=92259

All the best with your decision

I'm going to have to decide what engine to put into my RV-7 fairly soon. My RV-6 has an O-360 with unison ignition and, to be honest, I've been very pleased. I do however, want to make the best choice for today. To be perfectly honest, one attraction of injection is having a sleeker cowling (no carb scoop). But I'm also concerned about the future of leaded gas. The old Marvel-schebler carb just seems like a good, sturdy, reliable piece of 1930's technology which will be there no matter what the future brings. I fly my airplane IFR a lot, so, I don't really want it to be too "experimental". I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts.

Everything that you are comparing ends up being "personal choice."

A friend that won an award with his RV-3 at Oshkosh back around 1984 or 5 told me something that I am passing on about engine selection.

"There is no substitute for horsepower. There is no substitute for cubic inches."

IMHO, the the largest displacement engine with the most HP that you can afford that is recommended for your aircraft. Most HP does have its limits with me. I do not want too high of compression, turbo charges, or super chargers.

Everything that you are comparing ends up being "personal choice."

A friend that won an award with his RV-3 at Oshkosh back around 1984 or 5 told me something that I am passing on about engine selection.

"There is no substitute for horsepower. There is no substitute for cubic inches."

IMHO, the the largest displacement engine with the most HP that you can afford that is recommended for your aircraft. Most HP does have its limits with me. I do not want too high of compression, turbo charges, or super chargers.

There is no replacement for displacement.

Injection for LOP ops

In terms of dollars per hour of operations, you really want to be able to fly lean of peak. I'm not sure, others will enlighten, but I think it is far less likely to be able to run smooth lean of peak with a carburetor. My IO-360-A1A runs LOP right out of the box, no gami injectors needed. I think this is a common experience.

I cruise WOT/2400 LOP at 8 to 8.5 gph. running 50 ROP would put me at something close to 10 gph.

All the worry about 100LL ....it is totally clear that the change won't happen until an appropriate substitute is found. There are too many commercial interests in play that need high octane. So, I gave up worrying about it. Whether it is 96UL or Swift Fuel, or something else -- when they get rid of 100LL there will be a ready replacement. JMHO.

So, bottom line, go fuel injected.

We have an O-290 powered T-18, with a Ma-4. The front 2 egt's are always higher. I suppose correcting the fuel distribution could be done by carefully grinding out part of the intake passages in the sump, and - or epoxying in wet flow guides to try to make the gasoline devide equally to each cylinder.
My son Peter has an IO-470 powered Bellanca. After the engine rebuild, he decided the EGT's were too diverse, so he got GAMI injectors. The first flight was a revelation, but not perfect. GAMI has a test program, so that includes sending you the correct injector after this test to make everything right. And right it is.
Screwing in a new injector is a lot easier and better defined than trying to modify your intake when it comes to getting your cylinders to fly in formation.
So I guess I support fuel injection from a tuning point of view.
But it doesn't stop there; fuel injection runs at a higher fuel pressure than a carb, and if the "turn down" fuel is returned to the tank, vapor lock is practically unheard of. Now Mogas would seem safer with higher pressure fuel systems, so fuel injector vendors that advertise Mogas with Ethanol compatibility in their offerings would seem the best choice, far and away.
I suggest you purchase the engine of your choice, that permits you to supply the fuel system and ingnition of your choice.

Engine recomendation

I would recomend the Lycoming IO-360-L2A for a lightweight, injected, economical, premium mogas approved, and certified 180hp FP installation. Good luck, Russ

Back