What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 Wing Tip Cutout Cad File?

rapid_ascent

Well Known Member
Does anyone have a cad file for the wing tip cutout shapes? I'm planning on doing the mirror acrylic approach on these surfaces, but I'd like to be able to create a drawing with the correct shape, the mounting holes, lights and etc.

I just finished mine with this stuff, and it was actually really simple (if slow, because I was being cautious)...trace the outline of the cutout, trim the acrylic, test fit and repeat.

I found I had to trim the acrylic more than I initially thought because the "slope" of the clear lens caused and interference. I then blacked out a strip around the edge of the lens with Sika primer on the inside of the lens to hide the stack-up (for landing light, metal heat sink/backer, with acrylic on top of that).

The mirrored stuff looks really awesome now that it's done...

ETA: One other thing...if you're using the Van's landing/taxi light mounts, as I did, I found that drilling the holes for the screws should be done at an angle to the surface of the acrylic (i.e., the hole is drilled parallel to the chord, which puts it at an angle to the surface of the mirror) in order to make the screws and spacers work correctly.

I can post some pics if it would help...

Last edited:
Thanks Steve.

I basically did what you said. I traced the cutouts onto some 1/4" masonite and made a couple of templates. I wanted to get a cad form of these shapes though. Since I didn't get any responses I traced the outline of my templates onto a sheet of paper and then scanned it to a jpeg file. Then I loaded into a CAD program and traced the shape. Finally I have what I want I think. I wanted the CAD info since I'm planning on rolling my own nav and strobe lights.

I talked to Vans the other day and found out I could buy the MR16 holder parts from the wingtip light kit so I'm going to be lazy and buy those for my P7 LED taxi lights.

Wing tip

I dont have a CAD file but I did a LED install and used polished aluminum behind the lights. I did find on the internet a 1/32 mirror acrylic plastic but decided to use the polish metal

You can click the link below... It is pretty detal on the light on the tips.
Smilin' Jack

Steve,

What thickness of Arcylic did you use? Did you also put a piece of Al behind your Nav/Strobe Lights?

I ordered some strobes from Strobes N More so I'm going to work on that part first. I also found a place to buy 0.062" and 0.125" acrylic mirror is small lots. The 0.062" doesn't seem to be that common, but I may need it for my Nav lights (stay tuned for more updates).

I think it's 1/8" thick. I put aluminum behind the acrylic for the landing and taxi lights only, not for the pos/strobes (I have Aveo embedded Ultra position/strobe lights...all LED, no heat).

Steve,

I think I'm going to use 1/8" acrylic only for the strobe, and thinner acrylic with an AL backing plate for the Nav and Taxi light side. I just need to take a look at the strobe bulbs I ordered to make sure this will work before I order the acrylic.

Back