What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Crystal River / Cedar Key

bugsbunny

Well Known Member
Melissa and I flew our RV 9A down to Florida from Wisconsin.
We landed at Crystal River and rented a car. We also flew to
Other airports for fun seeing the area. Including Cedar Key.
We stayed in Cedar Key for a week, wonderful place to relax.
Was a wonderful trip. Seems that the Cedar Key
Airport has several accidents. If going please be
Careful. Didn?t seem to be a problem but there was a accident
While we were there.

https://youtu.be/-27ihMCXEx0

cedar keys

Flew over twice last week in route from Zephyrhills Fl. to Montgomery, Al. and back. Was a going to stop but was a bit short on time. It is on my list. Is there food close by?

Cedar key

Great place with lots of food and shopping

Short strip

Taxi driver monitors freq and will ask on radio if you need a taxi into town

Alternative is golf cart man will come pick you up

Bring tie downs as parking is limited

Locals say planes run off runway weekly
Into marsh/water monthly

Places to eat

Flew over twice last week in route from Zephyrhills Fl. to Montgomery, Al. and back. Was a going to stop but was a bit short on time. It is on my list. Is there food close by?

We stayed at Park Place and really enjoyed
It. The CTAF is monitored and they will pick you up
When you land.
They also rent Golf carts at a couple locations.
We tried every restaurant while there, steamers
Was great, a place called Tony’s had the best
Clam chowder I have ever had.
My wife said the best burger she ever had was at
Away from the world Cafe.
I was told by a locals that there has been 14 accidents in the last 18
Months because of the short
Runway.
We have been to this area a couple times and will go back.
Really enjoyed our time there.
Safe Travels
Don

Last edited:
runway length

2300 feet is waaaaay longer than I am used to landing on. However landing with water as an approach can mess with ones altitude perception. So if at all long go around and try again rather force it down with a bit too much speed. Will be back again first of April will try to fit it in. Thanks for the info.

Cedar Key

Brings back memories. Janie and I used to fly our Mooney 201 into Cedar Key to enjoy the sea food and the slow pace. We would circle the pier and the senior lady taxi driver would be waiting for us at the runway. Used to really enjoy the grouper sandwiches--can't remember which restaurant was our favorite--this was back in the 1990's. Runway is short and many accidents also occurred on take off on grey days when taking off out toward the gulf--pretty hard to determine where the water stops and the sky starts on grey days in Florida (of which there are few). If you had no instrument experience you could get yourself into trouble.

However, a great place to "unwind"!!

Thanks for the memories.

Cheers,

db

Cedar Key

We are out there about once every other month for breakfast or a short weekend getaway. There is almost always a plane waiting for an insurance adjuster or mechanic in the grass along the runway due to landing long. Usually always when landing on 23.

For some reason this 2300' seems to get people even if they fly out of smaller fields. It is a bit wider (100') than the typical 2000' field so that is probably a part of it. Regardless, my minimum there is wheels down at the numbers or go around. I fly out of a 2500x50' field with a 4' barricade on the threshold and a 30' tall center pivot watering gantry that may be as close as 200' off the other threshold. Great if you want the bottom of your plane washed off.

If you have never been there is a great trip. Very slow paced and relaxing.

Back