What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Exhaust install

Guilhermepilot

Well Known Member
hello Captains

Just receiveD my vetheran Exhaust and my question is, assemble al pipes prior install, or during installation?

thank you guys

I have the Vetterman 4 onto 2 crossover exhaust for the IO-360-M1B.
It was easier to pre-assemble and then install on the motor.

In fact, I had to preassemble. The slip joints would not go together without a lot of twisting that could not be done with part of it bolted in place because of clearance issues.
If it were not for that, sure, a piecemeal assy in place would work fine.

Last edited:
With my crossover exhaust, I found it easier to assemble during installation. Like every other task in building you will likely have these on and off a couple times so you can have the benefit of trying both ways.:D

I will assemble during install, thanks for the advise guys,

As a matter of fact, i sand it and polished it is bright!

When you install them for the first time (that's a hint), don't tighten the nuts down because you will remove and re-install it a few times as work on fitting everything to your engine.

When you install them for the first time (that's a hint), don't tighten the nuts down because you will remove and re-install it a few times as work on fitting everything to your engine.
Yes, that applies to the whole build process. Ny-Lock nuts on only finger tight, no cotter pins installed yet, etc. That's why TorqueSeal is so great?applying as the finishing touch is my favorite part. :D

FWIW. I find on a new install. Install in pieces. Goes slower and lets you look and think about what is going where along the way. After your up and flying, on and off in one piece is much easier, in particular with Vettermans new tail pipe clamping method. Easier to leave all that together. There is no wrong answer either way. But you will be taking it on and off a number of times as others have mentioned. Dont tightening anything up.

Also, do yourself another favor. Apply a nickel anti-seize paste to all slip joints and cylinder studs.

Also, do yourself another favor. Apply a nickel anti-seize paste to all slip joints and cylinder studs.

Veterman's recommends using Mouse Milk on all the slip joints. I apply some every time I pull the cowl.

Mouse milk is good, but its thin and goes away. An anti seize paste will hang in there a long time, so you don't have to do it frequently. I sure hate it when exhaust studs squeal and come out (or snap).

Back