What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Replacing accelerator pump packing

acam37

Well Known Member
I've got a Marvel Schebler MA-4SPA carb and got a new accelerator pump packing along with new gaskets. I got the packing out and there appears to be a ring of some sort that holds the packing in place. Does it come off or do you just have to wedge the packing back in the groove. I didn't try to pry it off yet in fear of tearing something up.

I think what you are seeing of the "ring" is the fact that it is staked. Most of us are familiar with point staking, but this thing is staked with a annular press. Good luck with your project.

I've rebuilt more auto and motorcycle carbs than I can count. I figured this one wouldn't be any more complicated. These carbs are about as simple as you can get, but since this is my first one I'd rather ask a dumb question before destroying a perfectly good carburetor.

Yup, likewise, and I completely agree, but you may find a new adventure here now that you have gotten the existing packing out (somehow?) unless you are prepared to acquire or manufacture tools. The latter is more fun.

Ok, I got it figured out. After calling my A&P friend, he told me that the packing has a brass keeper ring that is pressed on. So I went ahead and removed the keeper, replaced the packing and pressed the keeper ring back down. Easy enough.

I did essentially the same thing, but I finished up by staking the ring in with a punch, gently. So far, so good!

Back