What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which Rudder?

jpm

I am in the final stages of completing an RV-6 that dates back to 1987. A friend of mine began the project and enlisted the help of an excellent sheet metal man and experienced RV builder. They decided to rebuild the empennage some time around 2006. I understand that the original -6 rudder was redesigned to improve spin recovery and I am very interested in determining if mine is the original design or the updated version. Can anyone give me a hand with this?
Many thanks!
Joe

Does it look like this? "Normal" RV-6.
N466PGTailArt.jpg

Or this? RV-7/8 style or late RV-6.
IMGP0579.JPG

The taller counterbalanced vertical and rudder assembly only came on the late RV-6 kits, so it would depend on what they decided to do when they rebuilt in 2006.

I've spun my -6 a bit and would say that it does as advertised in that after about two turns wraps up a bit tighter and recovery isn't quite as quick as in a 1 to 2 turn spin. The taller fin and rudder is supposed to significantly improve the spin recovery characteristics past 2 turns but I have no practical experience with that.

I know my 7A has the larger rudder and it has the counterbalance arm as shown in your second pic. Being that yours is a -6, I'm not too sure.

I am in the final stages of completing an RV-6 that dates back to 1987. A friend of mine began the project and enlisted the help of an excellent sheet metal man and experienced RV builder. They decided to rebuild the empennage some time around 2006. I understand that the original -6 rudder was redesigned to improve spin recovery and I am very interested in determining if mine is the original design or the updated version. Can anyone give me a hand with this?
Many thanks!
Joe

You may want to get the Vans CD for the RV-6/6A, and refer to dwg 6PP, and 7PP, which are dated 3/13/96, 3/14/96, respectively. These drawings already included the VS and Rudder components of the RV-8 assemblies. (i.e., the part numbers are typical to the RV-8 design, such are R- or VS-801PP for example.). If you're familiar with the P/N system, this will make sense.

Getting the ($10) RV-6/6A CD will update your frame of reference, but you'll probably want to get the full-size drawings, too. But it will confirm that the 'larger VS and rudder' were being used by that time. They are available as a single line item to order, too. Call Vans.

gary

I have a new unopened larger rudder I will sell if you are interested. Newer model like the second photo. Email Mr are woodmanrog @gmail.com.

Which Rudder? Thank you all for the help!!

I really appreciate your input. I have the original rudder. Very interesting if this was indeed purchased and assembled in 2006. A bit more research is in order.

I really appreciate your input. I have the original rudder. Very interesting if this was indeed purchased and assembled in 2006. A bit more research is in order.

I elected to stay with the original smaller rudder as it looks a lot better that the big rudder and it actually performs very well. :)

Mine has the smaller rudder and I prefer it.

It's faster by a wee bit since it has less drag.

It looks much sexier.

It doesn't do the dutch-roll tail-wag in turbulence nearly as bad as the larger rudder on my buddy's RV-8 does.

Just don't get the airplane anywhere near the spin entry part of the flight envelope and you'll not have to worry about the small rudder being less effective in spin recovery. I've read discussions by folks who have spun RV-6s with both big and small rudders and the consensus seems to be that the larger rudder makes a small improvement in spin recovery, but not a huge improvement, and the bottom line is you don't want to spin a -6 at all unless you really know what you're doing and you're really up high.

That would only be the top fairing replacement on the vertical. :)

Only if talking about adding the larger rudder to an RV-7.
The original question was about adding the larger rudder to an RV-6 (though it was posted in the RV-7 forum). To do that requires also changing the vertical stab.

The RV-6 kit changed over to the RV-8 vertical stab. and rudder some time in 1999 - 2000 range.

If they rebuilt the rudder in 2006, They would have had to specifically order non-prepunch repair parts from Van's or they maybe got parts from someone that had an original un-built RV-6 emp. kit

Back