What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hangar winch

I have a winch in my hangar so is it safe to pull my RV-7A by the tail tie down ring

Safe? Yes. Best practice? Probably not.

Unless the entrance to your hangar is VERY flat, you'll be applying forces in a direction the tail tie down isn't really designed for. It is strong in the vertical direction, not so much in the fore/aft direction.

The reason I would like to use the winch is because of the slope going into the hangar from the ramp requires 2 person to push. Any power tow bar I could use with my nose wheel

Aero Tow

Bob,
I bought the Aero Tow E200 a couple of years ago. I only use it in the winter when the area outside my hangar is icy. It's been bullet proof and works as advertised.

Gary

An electric golf cart makes a great powered airplane tug. As a bonus, it can be driven around for transportation or fun without the airplane connected as well.

...mistaken identity

.....ohhhhhh

a Hangar W I I I I I I NCH!

I was thinking along the line of sumpin' you had that helped buck rivets AND would bring you a cold one from the fridge! :D

An electric golf cart makes a great powered airplane tug. As a bonus, it can be driven around for transportation or fun without the airplane connected as well.

Yep, and a reasonably decent used golf cart is comparable in price to the tug above.

Golf cart

Mike,
I tried my friends golf cart, no good on the ice. Besides, no room in the hangar for a golf cart, barely enough room for the planes.

Gary

Last edited:
You can use the winch but have it hooked to a towbar that attaches to the mains. Then you'd have to hold the tail down. But I have a hard time believing that if you added up the shear strength of all the fasteners holding the tailwheel bracket to the fuselage that it wouldn't be far greater than any towing force. Ask Vans.

You can use the winch but have it hooked to a towbar that attaches to the mains. Then you'd have to hold the tail down. But I have a hard time believing that if you added up the shear strength of all the fasteners holding the tailwheel bracket to the fuselage that it wouldn't be far greater than any towing force. Ask Vans.

This was discussed in an earlier thread, perhaps 1-2 years ago. Vans response was that the tail tie down point was not designed for horizontal loads.

check this thing out

Hey Bob,
When you get a chance go to www.ACAIRTECHNOLOGY.com and take a look at that fancy gizmo. I just watched a guy pull a Stearman around with it and the web side says they have one that will work with wheel pants.

.....ohhhhhh

a Hangar W I I I I I I NCH!

To the Winch, Wench! (with apologies to The Never Ending Story)

If you do use a tail winch be sure to have a fool-proof secondary way to quickly stop the winch in the event that the primary control switch fails in the "On" position. Nothing gets the juices flowing quicker than seeing your pride and joy inexorably being pulled backwards into the T-hangar walls (we came very close one day with our Bonanza). :eek:

Back