What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skybolt fasteners, pepto pink cowl and spacer strip

david.perl

Well Known Member
hi there

I am installing the skybolt fasteners and it looks like the pepto pink cowl pretty much matches the thickness of the firewall/skin combo. this means if i use the .020 spacer strip ill just have to pack out the cowling by .020 so what do i achieve?

am i missing something here?

thanks

david

On the -8 I needed to shim the top of the firewall about .020 but suggest using whatever you need to make em flush...

Shim

You may want to consider adding glass or carbon strips to the cowl to stiffen
the edge to minimize the ballooning/ expansion of the cowl edge between the fasteners. Adding a shim to account for additional thickness of the cowl is easier
done at this stage.

Last edited:
hi there

I am installing the skybolt fasteners and it looks like the pepto pink cowl pretty much matches the thickness of the firewall/skin combo. this means if i use the .020 spacer strip ill just have to pack out the cowling by .020 so what do i achieve?

am i missing something here?

thanks

david

You should measure both with a good instrument again to be sure. The firewall and skin seems thinner than .080, which is some of the cowl. Your measurements may vary but I used the .020 spacer and, although the final adjustment is not done, and I am using the old Sam James cowl, the fit is flush or slightly low. I figure it is easier to bring back up than to cut the cowling down by .0XX for being high.

I also used the SkyBolt fasteners and did not need to install a spacer. I riveted the flanges directly to the fiberglass. The edge of the skin and cowl match nearly perfectly. For anyone looking to invest in the SkyBolt system, it is absolutely worth it. Quality product and the result is really nice.

Back