What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailwheel vs. inflight fuel reading

donswords

RV-7 Trying to calibrate my fuel tank readings with my VM1000c. If I just calibrate with the tail down will the indications read higher or lower than I actually have in the tanks when I am in level flight? I'm just going off of visual checks and FF/Fuel remaining after I fill up for now. Seems more accurate anyway that way. Thanks Oh, I have just the standard resistance floats installed.

RV-7 Trying to calibrate my fuel tank readings with my VM1000c. If I just calibrate with the tail down will the indications read higher or lower than I actually have in the tanks when I am in level flight? I'm just going off of visual checks and FF/Fuel remaining after I fill up for now. Seems more accurate anyway that way. Thanks Oh, I have just the standard resistance floats installed.

Tail down readings are substantially higher than in flight due to where the floats are located. (Assuming you have the standard senders.) This is amplified at low fuel levels.

I've calibrated my tanks both ways. Since my SkyView only takes one calibration curve, I ended up with the tail low curve after a major system rebuild.

It works fine. I know exactly how much fuel I have when I dip the tanks on the ground. I can compare this with my totalizer to verify quantity before flight, then depend on the totalizer for range determination.

When a tank or tanks get low on fuel, say 5 gallons, I watch them closely and cross-check with the totalizer. Until then, I don't really care.

When I did the tail level calibration, I could not cross-check the dipped level and totalizer accurately on the ground. In flight, due to the tank geometry, it was not possible to cross check until the tanks emptied below the gauge satuation level. Therefore, I often flew without the correlation.

So, i am OK with the tail low calibration and knowing how much fuel I have before departure for flight planning and cross-check the totalizer.

I think the g3X provides both, which is better in most respects.

I've calibrated my tanks both ways. Since my SkyView only takes one calibration curve, I ended up with the tail low curve after a major system rebuild.

Since the Skyview knows the attitude of the aircraft, I'm surprised they don't include an attitude correction factor or multi-dimensional calibration surface.

It would be nice, since we are in search of more accurate data. We could always make a correction chart, but that defeats the purpose of having an EFIS on hand.

Practically speaking, however, I am ok with the way it is.

The G3X does indeed provide both, which is very useful. Does require two calibrations though.

Back