What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Digital Encoding altimeter can it be used with Dynon Skyview?

dave4754

Well Known Member
Hello fellow builders. I have a precision digital encoding alitimeter which i was going to install just to have the steam gauge altimeter, however, when i inspected it, it has a digital encoding facility. Do you know if this could be used in the Skyview system which I intend to buy? Would you bother with this?

Thanks for your comments

Skyview generates it's own encoder output that can be used either in the Skyview mode S Xpdr module -or exported to an other brand Xpdr, you don't need a separate encoder. Note that more components in your pitot/static system like redundant ASIs & ALTs can really affect your 2yr re-cert costs as most avionics shops want to calibrate everything connected to the system ( in Calgary that's about $100 per item!)

If you like a backup altimeter that's one thing but scratch the encoder. The Skyview ADAHRS computes all air data for the system. You have to connect pitot, static, and OAT to it. -optional AOA (the place to connect AOA is standard.) The ADAHRS altitude supplies the display, the transponder, the autopilot, etc.

So teeing off the static line for a steam altimeter is not difficult but making the system USE that value - it is not designed that way.

But if you have two watches - what time is it - really?

If the Skyview is working but your static line fails (?), it backs up to GPS altitude.

Back