What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rivet help

N9331v

Well Known Member
4ced2e0d.jpg

I 'm working on my -7 Drawing 25 , Riveting the F721A-R forward canopy deck to the F-721B-R ( Longeron ).
I cant for the heck of me get any of my bucking bars in, even my little tungsten. Can I use a cherry max pull rivet in the three locations I marked in red. If can does anyone know a cherry max equivalent # ?

Last edited:
Rivet

A Cherry Max should be fine however the most important thing is that you measure the grip and use the correct rivet length.

Pat

Ed,

Pull the 721 A and B off. Then rivet the 2 rivets then put the piece
back on as one unit. I think that is how I did it.
If rivetted on. Blind Rivets.

I used (made) a 1" x 1/2" x 7" flat bar for my bucking bar squeezed in place with fingers as close as possible to the rivets.
Then set with rivet gun.
It does not take much to set these little rivets, but make sure you squeeze firmly on the bucking bar.

Cliff
Chase, BC
RV9A - production held up thorugh work injury!

I all ready have 99% rivited so I wouldn't want to remove, guess tomorrow I'll try the idea making something smaller to get into such a tight area. If that don't work I'll have to decide on which pull rivets to use

Thanks everyone for the input.

Ed

Blind rivet equivilent...

You'll need to verify the reach, but the MK319-BS blind rivet is acceptable.

Note: Getting them from Van's is a little more expensive that Aircraft Spruce, but ACS says the ccc-32 as an interchange for MK319-BS, but I find them a slightly different size. Get a bunch from Van's.

Back Rivet Plate

I've used the side of my back rivet plate as a bucking bar in narrow places like this. That may work.

Doug
RV-7 Fuselage

What Bruce said...

If you haven't already riveted the assembly on, take it off, rivet the two vertical rivets, reattach and if necessary, drill the one other hole out to 7/64 and put an MK319BS in there.

Ed-Use CR3214-4-2's in the two verticle holes. These are 1/8" diameter rivets with reduced heads (same countersink as -3 solids) so you'll need to upsize the holes to #30. Use CR 3214-4-4 in the hole common to the longeron. Same thing applies. You will need to upsize the hole to #30. You can pull them with a standard set of pop rivet pullers.

Hey thanks for the rivet info. I just finished up with my canopy and was getting back to that section this weekend.

Ed

Back