- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-4
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2007, 06:27 AM

Default Beautiful

Outstanding Dennis,
Be sure to make the baffling skirt lay backwards on that front piece when you install the top cowl,

Regards,
Pierre
Air Tractor AT 502B PT 6-15
Air Tractor 402 PT-6-20
EAA Flight Advisor/CFI/Tech Counselor
Louisville, Ga

It's never skill or craftsmanship that completes airplanes, it's the will to do so,
Patrick Kenny, EAA 275132

Dues gladly paid!
Old 06-06-2007, 01:58 PM

Default Brian Vickers RV4 project photos and status

All,

I have been in a state of embedded procrastination over attaching the fiberglass faring at the front of the canopy bubble. Also, summer is here and I have another airplane to fly. A month ago I layed up the small faring and for the first few days it fit perfect. I used Scotch tape to form the radius between the skin and the bubble. It worked perfect. Then the faring aged and warped. I understand this is typical of polyester resin. I worked and worked with heat but the next day it would be back to 99% of its warped shape. Finally I got more aggressive with higher heat and achieved a good fit once again. That was about 9:00 PM two nights ago. It was late in the evening but I decided to install the faring with Flamemaster (Proseal equivalent) while it was behaving. At 12:00 AM I finally had fiberglass reinforced packing tape and shims holding it in the desired position. I am thankful that curing Flamemaster has a long pot life. The next day I removed the “squeeze out” adhesive with a razor blade and all turned out just fine. This prompted me to remove the factory applied plastic wrap on the bubble for the first time since receiving the finish kit last year. Wow!!! Even my “nay saying” wife wanted to sit in the pilot seat and close the canopy. The whole family did a little hanger flying.

I get excited to see other RV4 postings no matter how obscure they are. Here are some photos of my shop and project. Not much to explain about the 4. I believe everything is “as per the drawings.”

Sincerely,

Brian Vickers
Bainbridge Island, WA
RV4 project

[IMG]
Old 06-06-2007, 02:26 PM

Looks great! That area around the back is especially difficult and yours looks terrific.
Rag and tube project well under way

paid =VAF= dues through June 2013
Old 06-07-2007, 02:16 AM

Brian - that looks stupendous! As SZ sais the fit at the rear is excellent. Any tips? How do you now stop the two surfaces abrading each other? Mylar tape on the canopy or what?

I hope mine turns out half as good. I am busy with other tasks to avoid confronting those skins right now.

G-IKON Build log here , or Index to blog here.
RV4 #4478 - Flying since 16th June '08. First flight video here.
Circuits at my 1000' strip.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:43 AM

Default Felt.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Sampson
How do you now stop the two surfaces abrading each other? Mylar tape on the canopy or what?
Hi guys,
Steve, there is a really nice 1/8" thick by 1 1/2" wide felt tape that's adhesive on one side and works well on our -6A slider. I believe GAHCO or Spruce may sell it.

Regards,
Pierre
Air Tractor 402 PT-6-20
Louisville, Ga

It's never skill or craftsmanship that completes airplanes, it's the will to do so,

Dues gladly paid!
Old 06-07-2007, 09:08 PM

Default Canopy to skin contact

Pierre, Steve, others,
When closing the canopy, the side skins do touch down and then spread out to form the tight fit. The fuselage skins are already scuffed. Something is needed. I was thinking of using something on both contact surfaces. Maybe a protective “stick on” material over the fuselage skin. In the past I have purchased a wide, thin, clear adhesive backed tape like material for bike frames. I race bikes and the cables and other things tend to wear through the paint on the bike frame if you don’t put a clear guard layer on. The product is called Frame Guard. Vinyl is too soft and yellows. The felt is a good idea but it is thick and you have a visible line. My wife suggests attaching a thinner fabric strip and then loading it with wax. It only has to extend in about ¼ inch from the edge. The fabric is a combination gasket and vehicle for holding the wax. This is what I will try at some point. Last night I removed the canopy by pulling the hinge pin and put it in the attic. I don’t see any reason to risk damage while work continues on the interior and firewall. I obtained a large plastic sofa bag at the local furniture store to put over the canopy while sitting in storage.

Thanks very much for the exchange of ideas.

Sincerely,

Brian Vickers, RV4 project
Bainbridge Island, WA
Old 06-08-2007, 02:48 AM

I was thinking that (provided I can get the tight fit you have) that the mylar tape VANS sell for the flaps might work? The felt would be great if the fit is less good I think.

Thanks for the inputs.

G-IKON Build log here , or Index to blog here.
RV4 #4478 - Flying since 16th June '08. First flight video here.
Circuits at my 1000' strip.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:01 PM

Default Canopy to Skin Contact

My canopy fits pretty close and does rub in a couple of spots. I put a layer of the heavy clear tape that Van's sells for the flap rub strip on the turtle deck and trimmed it to follow the contour of the canopy. All of the tape is under the canopy when it is closed. The big problem I had was the canopy buzzing at high speed. Anything over 150 MPH and it would really howl. Distracting to say the least. I put a couple of layers of masking tape around the inside edge of the canopy skirt and managed to stop the howl. Just tonight I was in a craft store and bought a couple of 9" X 12" sheets of thin (maybe 1/16") white felt with adhesive back. I plan to remove the masking tape and cut the felt to fit. I think it will be perfect for this application. It's amazing at the different places you find airplane parts!

Did I mention how great this airplane is? I cannot encourage you more to get yours flying. You will not be disappointed.

Jerry Isler
RV-4 N455J
Hangered in Bainbridge, GA (not Washington)
38 out of 40 hours in phase 1

Last edited by jlisler : 06-08-2007 at 10:05 PM.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:37 PM

Default Brians -4

This is my buddy, Brian and his -4. Note the very clean uncluterred dash.

Pierre
Air Tractor 402 PT-6-20
Louisville, Ga

Dues gladly paid!

Last edited by DeltaRomeo : 06-18-2007 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Replaced thumbnail with actual picture (was small enough)
Old 06-21-2007, 04:39 PM

Default Rick's RV-4

Here's a picture of my RV-4 brake lines . . .

Mostly I'm just seeing if I'm smart enough to insert a picture

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/2391/rv4184hs3.jpg