What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Varnish over plain aluminum?

HansLab

Well Known Member
All,
While building my '12 I sort of got in love with those rows of rivets: so straight, I just cannot cover them with paint, I think.
So, I want to leave the plane as pure as it is, with just some color accents here and there to point out the aluminum (and to cover the non-aluminum parts).

I read all the articles about polishing, but: have anyone of you experience with any clear (as in: water-like) varnish-types that provides me polishing every year - and keeps the aluminum from wearing?

Any ideas highly appreciated!!

varnish

I would not use Varnish as it will check and yellow expecially ove aluminum...use Two part Acrylic Urethan Clear...it has much better adhesion and will never yellow...my opinion and it's probably worth what you paid..ha

The problem with any clear coat system is they look great, until they don't. Repairs can be difficult to blend and over time, you will have dings and scratches.
I might consider a clear wrap.?

A clear wrap over all those raised head rivets may not look too good. But you could test a small area with a sample and judge for yourself. I did the whole airplane myself with 3M1080 (solid colors, not clear).

Bevan

Protectaclear

I started using Everbrite, the forerunner to Protectaclear, several years ago. I use it on the insides of skins and on mating surfaces. It is very easy to apply. I don't have any long term experience with its wetherproofness or corrosion resistance, but their web site makes it sound like PFM (magic).

Stewart Systems clear metal finish

Stewart systems sells a water based clear finish they claim can even survive exhaust heat and releases bugs like Teflon. Might be worth talking to Dan about your " no paint " application.

Thank you!

Great, Forum, thanks for thinking with me 'till now. Lots of searching to do. Will keep you posted!

Back