What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Removing Front Plug for Constant Speed Prop Install

DRMA

Well Known Member
Friend
I have a new Van's sourced Lycoming IO-540 engine and an MT constant speed prop, and so I need to remove the front plug that Lycoming installs in the crank shaft. How have folks successfully removed this plug?

I suppose I could purchase a slide hammer and drill a small hole in the plug to attach the hammer.

I also saw a posting that said something about placing a ball peen hammer in the center of the plug and hitting it with another hammer, but this sounds like it could drive the plug further into the shaft and make things harder.

What is the best way to approach this?

Thanks for your help/suggestions.

I drilled a hole, inserted a large screwdriver, a little pressure and it came right out. Be sure to check for debris.

Punch a hole rather than drill. Avoid shavings!

That plug is pretty thick. I partially drilled a 1/4" hole, cleaned up all the shavings and then used a punch for the last part. Used a slide hammer and it came right out. I drilled off center, a mistake. Drill/punch in the middle.

I also saw a posting that said something about placing a ball peen hammer in the center of the plug and hitting it with another hammer, but this sounds like it could drive the plug further into the shaft and make things harder.

That's how I always do it. Two hits and it will come right out
You are unlikely to drive it further in. It sits in a small landing machined into the crankshaft.
It's not a good practise to hit two hammers together but the plug gives way easily. Don't forget your safety glasses!

It's not a good practise to hit two hammers together but the plug gives way easily. Don't forget your safety glasses!

I helps to cover the first hammer face with tape. This will lessen the chance of chipping the hammer face. This does NOT negate the need for safety glasses.

Back