What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stainless Hinge

mike newall

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Doing the heater flap.

Match drilled, dimpled, found the stainless rivets......

Now - countersink the stainless hinge - Hmmmmm.

Any tips for that ? Normal countersink ? what speed ?

Thanks

I just carried on as per normal instructions as if it was aluminium. I didn’t even think about it. I always use a lubricant like Boelube with anything steel though. Same with the rivets. They squeezed just like aluminium. For my setup, and I stress for my setup, I have found that the slowest speed on my drill press 335 rpm and quite a high feed rate reduce the chances of chattering when machine countersinking.

Last edited:
The more flutes the more chatter, too much engagement. If you are using a drill press (as you should be with steel) run slow and use the single flute (round hole through the counter sink) and you will get a very nice result. If you use the four flute countersinks with a drill press and lock everything down tight you will be OK. If you try to free hand a four flute you will never get good results.

Tried a test on a spare piece of hinge - used the single hole countersink cutter at 500rpm with general purpose cutting fluid and a reasonable amount of pressure.

All went extremely well, the countersinks cut well, just eyeballed the depth as the cutter wasn't in a cage.

Numatx riveter needed a little extra pressure but set the stainless rivets beautifully.

Thanks for the input chaps.

Back