What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

opinions on "states flown"

brian

Well Known Member
When people are talking about states where they've flown, such as for making a colored map of states flown, do people generally consider a state "flown" if they flew over it, or would most people only count states in which they have made a landing?

thanks,
brian

When I was a kid traveling with my family, a state only counted if you got out of the car and put yout feet on the ground.....

When I was a kid traveling with my family, a state only counted if you got out of the car and put yout feet on the ground.....

Hmmm, I guess I've never been to West Virginia then. It is only 13 miles wide on I-70.

As to the original question, yeah you have to get out for it to count.

Dang...

.....and getting out of the airplane :) Touch and go's would be 'cheating' in my book :D "49 States" Rosie

I guess that means that I need to do my 'lower 48 states' trip again. About 1/3 of them were touch-n-goes.

Kent

Does anyone know of a good electronic map of the US that one could place a pin to show all of the locations you have been?

Difference of Opinion?

If you feel like you have been there then you've been there. My most thorough experience of a state is not from an FBO.

Bob Axsom

I have a large USA map on the wall. It has yellow pins for where the RV has landed, and grey pins for points of interest, in which I didn't land. The real purpose for the grey pins, is usually long distances from my home airport, to show that the plane actually flew way out there.

L.Admason

States Flown

I have flown over lots of states many times.... I have co-workers who could say the same thing, yet they've never flown in a small airplane they built in their garage. To make it an "Official" count you must land and get out. These are the unwritten rules. I have 48 states in 339A. I have two airports landings in Hawaii, in an RV9A, (not mine) however some people will say that doesn't qualify as it was not my airplane. I'm still calling it GOOD and consider myself at "49". Just need Alaska.

As for a map, I just use Google Maps. You can set up your own map with pins and make it public. See this LINK for my map. Just added another one on Sunday. KPWA, Wiley Post Airport in Oklahoma. We have landed 339A at 210 different airports over 6 years now. Once you get over 200 pins in the map, it starts a new page for you. :(

Regards,

When people are talking about states where they've flown, such as for making a colored map of states flown, do people generally consider a state "flown" if they flew over it, or would most people only count states in which they have made a landing?

thanks,
brian

.....and getting out of the airplane :) Touch and go's would be 'cheating' in my book :D "49 States" Rosie

Does anyone know of a good electronic map of the US that one could place a pin to show all of the locations you have been?

Last edited:
rules

To make it an "Official" count you must land and get out. These are the unwritten rules.

My understanding of the rules is that you need to put money in a vending machine at the airport for it to count. Since there is only a 50-50 chance of the vending machine working, getting a soda or candy bar is not required under the rules.

My understanding of the rules is that you need to put money in a vending machine at the airport for it to count. Since there is only a 50-50 chance of the vending machine working, getting a soda or candy bar is not required under the rules.

I believe also that when stepping out of the airplane you must rub your belly and pat your head while reciting the pledge of allegiance for it to count as a state on your map.....

Could be all hear say though :rolleyes:;)

When people are talking about states where they've flown, such as for making a colored map of states flown, dre people generally consider a state "flown" if they flew over it, or would most people only count states in which they have made a landing?

thanks,
brian

Touch and go. The world record for the lower, Diabetes 48 set the conditions for me. I believe their rules are touch and go.

http://www.diabetesflight48.com/htmlpages/route.html

Maybe we should challenge a VAFer to break the world record?

Last edited:
My rule is you have to "leave something behind" for the state to count. You can decide what that maybe and, no, it is not a child.

States Visited Map

This site lets you check the states you've visited then creates a map for you:

http://www.epgsoft.com/VisitedStatesMap/

I flew a glider for an hour in Hollister, CA during a business trip a few years back - including during takeoff behind the tow plane and landing. Technically I didn't fly to there, but I'm counting it.

I just added Indiana, Tennessee, Georgia and Florida on my Sun n Fun trip!

StatesVisited.bmp

If you think the States are a dilemma, this'll fry your noodle....I have never set foot on the SURFACE of France, have probably transited the airspace - but I did cross the boarder UNDERGROUND while visiting the supercollider in CERN.....went down an elevator in Switzerland, walked down the tunnel into France, then back up the elevator. I think I probably missed out on much of France - what you do think? ;)

If you think the States are a dilemma, this'll fry your noodle....I have never set foot on the SURFACE of France, have probably transited the airspace - but I did cross the boarder UNDERGROUND while visiting the supercollider in CERN.....went down an elevator in Switzerland, walked down the tunnel into France, then back up the elevator. I think I probably missed out on much of France - what you do think? ;)

How about landing in Basel airport (on French soil) in a commercial flight, but taxying to the Swiss area for customs and entry.

Does it count as a French visit?

visitedstatesmap.jpg

i am determined to take a trip to the NW soon. watch out RV hotel NW. maybe after OSH.
img0602n.jpg

Turbo start planning early some RV Hotels mapped are no more. :)

My rule on "states flown" is to stay overnight to be counted. TX, FL, MA, ME, NC so far :D

States FLOWN

A thought...

The question was about "states flown". Maybe flying doesn't mean you have to land there.

However, if my list is "states landed in" then I need to land there.

If my list is "states I've set foot in" then I need to get out and put my foot on the ground.

I have a cousin whose list is "states I've spent at least one night in", and he's managed to spend at least one night in all fifty states.

Define your list and meet the definition.

States Visited

Our family has a different take on the states visited rules. You must drink a beer in the state for it to count. We even have "log" books for the contest. I am the only pilot in the group so, although I have a somewhat of a logistical advantage, upon qualification I then fall into the "must spend the night in the state group".

Our family has a different take on the states visited rules. You must drink a beer in the state for it to count. We even have "log" books for the contest. I am the only pilot in the group so, although I have a somewhat of a logistical advantage, upon qualification I then fall into the "must spend the night in the state group".

Drinking the beer also allows you to satisfy my requirement of "leaving something behind".

My rule is you have to "leave something behind" for the state to count. You can decide what that maybe and, no, it is not a child.

I'm pretty much with Rosie in that you have to stop and get out, but I do like this addition, assuming that money for gas or lunch counts as "something left behind". By that rule I can still count West Virginia (lunch and gas) and Ohio (just gas), along with the other 34 states, 1 province, and 1 territory.

Oh, and one other thing: I plan to keep a separate count for the RV-7.;)

From Rosie: My original post first read, "You have to take something (fuel) or leave something (use the restroom)!" but I thought it too much information :D By the way, Miles and I go back to when I first joined EAA Chatper 49 in 1994 then he went on to marry a teacher-friend of mine, very cool!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back